Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoulders

Shoulders

I hear everyone over time using the arms a lot talk about saving their shoulders. What do you recommend to prevent shoulders from wearing out out? or is not IF but WHEN they will go?
    Appreciate the small gains and the large ones will be ignored!!

Blog Entries
    The more you use them, the sooner they wear out. If you do active sports, you could use them up in 10 years or so. It's a fine line between exercising enough and not abusing your shoulders. My guess is that even trying to be conservative you'll have problems after 30-40 years. Anyone know of any studies on this?
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Here is a pretty good article with some references to some resources and guides to help you take care of your shoulders and wrists.
    http://www.christopherreeve.org/site...emity_Care.htm

All the best,
    GJ

A Body Bar Flex 20 has worked wonders for an acquaintance and my wife. It is helping my shoulders, but I really need a Flex 10 which they say is in development, but not here yet.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

I don't worry much about shoulders even though they hurt. If they don't get used they'll freeze up. Yesterday & today I washed the car and put on two coats of wax. Seems they are always sore in the morning but after ROM and a half hour shoulder workout they feel much better and I make it through the day. The whole thing about SCI is one day at a time. Good luck!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Looked at the PVA guide. It suggests minimizing transfers, stretches, and some gentle strengthening exercises focused on stretch bands, plus see a PT for more details. I did all of that stuff, and both my shoulders still went south. To be fair, I used to push over 3 miles with a long max grade hill on a daily "walk". The uphill portions of this were abusive. But I was pretty much where the Old Timer is, and my attitude was similar. Eventually the pain forced me to worry. It got worse until it pretty much kept me in the house. Could not steer the car for starters.

The shoulder joint is a ball and socket. See http://www.webmd.com/pain-management...e-rotator-cuff My wife's orthopedic surgeon uncle says the key is to keep the ball in the socket. This means keeping the small muscles attached to the rotator cuff in good shape. Pushing the chair overuses some and under uses others. Bad combo. This weakens both, and allows the ball to get loose. Then the ball gets pushed up during transfers and pinches the supraspinatus to the collar bone. This makes the supraspinatus swell, makes the pinch worse, and the supra cannot stretch as it should. So the next time it is loaded, it tears. This loosens the ball even more, and the downhill slide begins.

So the key is the small muscles that hold the ball in the socket. The PVA book is a good start. A good PT is good advice. My wife and I have both found the Body Bar Flex to be dramatically better than stretch bands. My theory is that it does a better job than the stretch bands of gently exercising the small muscles. Also there is no set up, so you can move quickly from exercise to exercise.

My advice would be to get as smart as you can, and do what you can to prevent shoulder problems. If they get bad they are severely limiting. Putting me in a power chair for starters.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

gac, what is different from the body bar and the body bar flex. Is that the bb flex just flexes. What is the advantage to the flex? thanks

use `em or lose `em. the trick is to find a balance. There are 2 schools of thought. Do absolutely nothing, keep your power chair charged. Or fuck it all, my body is a piece of shit anyway, so live it up. The gimps I know that do the latter are far happier. We weren't made to sit still. Check out the 2 guys in the Care forum with pressure sores on their backs because all they do is facebook all day.

I'm with Tooley.

I exercise and keep my shoulders fit and believe that healthy joints are long lasting joints. If I treat them with kid gloves they'll get all fragile and delicate and then doing normal, everyday things like transfering or lifting or pushing up hills increases my rish of injury because my body is unprepared. I take a multivitamin, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and Fish oil to keep healthy.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I believe in doing exercises that work the opposite muscles that we are using or maybe overusing, hopefully that will help counteract against wearing them out.