Thread: Severe pain due to disk problems?

Severe pain due to disk problems?

I get these sudden attacks that feel like gallbladder attacks but it doesnt hurt in my back my abdominal muscles tighten because of the pain, cold sweats, feeling of doom, I think something is seriously wrong, these attacks come when they want with no clear reason for why I had and upper Egd with eus results were normal. The gastro wanted me to get an MRI? I am not sure why and after reading the results of the mri I am completely confused! is this the reason for my acute abdominal pain?

MRI FINDINGS: Multiplanar imaging of the LS spine was performed utilizing magnetic resonance. The images demonstrate normal osseous marrow sign al without fracture, contusion or malalignment. There is loss of disc signal at L3 - 4 and L4 - 5. At each of these levels, broad - based annular disc bulge is present that results in thecal sac effacement without spinal stenosis. There is mild bilateral rece ss stenosis at each of these levels without significant foraminal encroachment and without nerve root impingement. No focal herniation. At L5 - S1, no abnormality identified. The conus is normal in appearance. Prevertebral soft tissues appear normal.

IMPRESSION: 1. DEGENERATIVE DISC DISEASE WITH BROAD -BASED ANNULAR DISC BULGE AT L3 - 4 AND L4 - 5 THAT RESULTS IN THECAL SAC EFFACEMENT AND BILATERAL RECESS STENOSIS. 2. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF SPINAL STENOSIS OR NERVE ROOT IMPINGEMENT

I had my gallbladder removed in 2006.

I get constant uti s how did it help removing the blader?
    I didnt metion this in my post I was getting the pain meds for 2 Years.
    "Independent from the rest of the sheep"

I am not a medical professional, but a long-term spinal patient. It APPEARS to me that your MRI results do not show any relationship between the acute abdominal pain you describe and your spine. Nerve root impingement, which the MRI states you don't have, could cause pain. So could a herniation. So could severe stenosis, but your MRI states "mild."

My GUESS is that your doctor ordered an MRI to determine if your pain was spinal-related; I believe he/she is going to tell you it's not.

Thank you all for your replies i will be seeing a neurosurgeon on July 7th, if its not my back that causes my severe striking pain in my mid torso then i wonder what it is still? does anyone have any similar pain or an idea of what it could be? the pain starts on my right side and feels like a gallbladder attack but intensifies to unbearable pain... the pain starts about 3in above my bellybutton and pain radiates up but the main(or central of pain) pain stays below rib cage. it just hurts to breath and i tighten my stomach because it feels like im being punched repeatedly.

oops *after leaving right side by gallbladder travels immediately to 3in above belly button

It appears that only your lumbar spine was imaged on the MRI - I'm wondering about the thoracic spine, given the location of your symptoms. Also, do you still have your appendix?

(Edited to add: I asked about your appendix because mine actually ruptured post-removal on the way to the lab, yet the only symptoms I'd had were upper quadrant and umbilical pain; no fever.)
    Last edited by Bonnette; 06-22-2011 at 10:22 AM.