Thread: ECT or tDCS for spinal cord pain relief

ECT or tDCS for spinal cord pain relief

Does anyone here have any experience with Electro Convulsive Therapy (ECT) or transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS) for neuropathic pain relief?

ECT is very similar to the old fashioned and much maligned Shock Therapy, but much safer. It is administered while the patient is under general anesthesia so there is no pain involved. It is commonly used nowadays to treat severe depression.

Apparently it also works quite well for relieving CRPS and spinal cord injury pain. There is quite a bit of information on the web about it.

Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) is a simpler procedure, performed on a fully awake patient with a small, portable device. It is a totally non invasive brain stimulation procedure for neuropathic pain relief. The sessions take about 20 minutes and they are generally performed over 5 consecutive days. Apparently it works well but I believe the results are more temporary and the procedure needs to be repeated periodically.

There is a lot of information on the web about this as well.

Has anyone on this forum had either of these procedures performed? If so, will you share your experiences?

Thanks.
    George Hunt

tCDS experience

I went through pre screening eval, evaluation, sorting how to get insurance to pay $$$$$ and the day of they said it doesn't hurt at all kind of like an MRI.

Said I couldn't have an MRI and they gasped, would have been a catastrophe.

net didn't get it and had an embarrassed doctor and staff.
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

bollefen

I am familiar with transcranial magnetic stim. which turned out not to be effective after all. This is different from DC stim. However, there are some favorable reports in the literature.