Thread: Gyne Table

Gyne Table

Yesterday when I had my first uro-gynecological visit, I sat on one of the most accessible examining tables I've ever seen. I asked the doctor and she said it was $12,000.

Where do I attack first for something local?

A hospital foundation? The equipment manufacturer? The Minister of Health (provincial government)?

I keep hearing from doctors that those accessible tables are 'cost prohibitive.' The problem with that expression is that women just don't bother to go because it's too much of a hassle. Therefore, access to basic medicine is being indirectly denied.

I want to be angry with them ... but I'm not sure that anger should be deservedly directed at them. I want to bring attention to this matter finally but I just don't know where to start. I write a good letter-to-the-editor and they usually get published .. but that really leads no where other than expressing my opinion.

Thoughts? Group effort?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blog Entries
    it is a wonderful cause Lynnifer and I wish I had ideas to add. I always have to schedule my appointments when there are certain people there at least a lift me, even if it's terribly uncomfortable once I get there.

And it is obvious that the stereotactic breast biopsy table was designed by a sadistic man with mother issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    And it is obvious that the stereotactic breast biopsy table was designed by a sadistic man with mother issues.
    LMAO!!! I've not had a mammogram yet and I'm 38. Sometime this year when other issues settle but I've heard horror stories!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    LMAO!!! I've not had a mammogram yet and I'm 38. Sometime this year when other issues settle but I've heard horror stories!
    I had one last year. It was a pain (literally) to hold certain positions but overall, it wasn't so bad. Thing is, given that I had very little to work with, it was basically just a nipplegram! *ouch*!

Good Luck, Lynnifer...I'd sign that petition, like it'd do any good <sigh>. I've suggested it to my gyn...he's understanding but not proactive. It's the $$$ thing. Not saying that every doc should have to buy one, but you'd think someone per town would. But then I also think that bathroom doors in hospitals should open wide enough for a wheelchair to get through and not be blocked by equipment/furniture in the room.

Anyway, I did see one adjustable exam table (of the medical variety) on Craigslist recently for $1,000. It looked pristeen. Wonder if docs would consider buying used????

Have had no success finding an office with an accessible table for my wife.
    It has been a terrible problem for us; you certainly have my signature for a petition.

With the cost of practice high, and payments decreasing, no practice I know of is able (willing) to buy add equipment that will not pay for itself.

PS

Baseline mammogram suggested at or before age 40 unless strong family history for breast cancer.