Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally running after 6 long years!!

Finally running after 6 long years!!

So, after 6 1/2 long years I ran and competed in my first (since the accident) 5k obstacle course. It was fun and hard and I thought no way after I sprained my ankle would I finish still running, but I did! Just had to slow my pace way down (I really didn't think that I could go any slower than I already was going!). What a rush! Have my next race in July, the swimming leg of the tri, ready and willing to go!!

Awesome! Congratulations! Keep up the hard work.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

congrats

enjoy my dream

Thanks will do

@peterf
    was my dream too, literally I could run in my dreams. Now, in reality too, after super intense training and never listening to what the docs say that according to medical lit I would not walk, and once I could walk then told I would never run again. Shows what they know about SCI, because we are all different it affects us all diferently, somebody should let them know to STOP trying to take away HOPE.........

thats awesome. do you or did you have some form of drop foot?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Quote Originally Posted by mj23 View Post
    thats awesome. do you or did you have some form of drop foot?
    Great question.

Yep still have it, but it has gotten better since I got my calf muscle back on the rt leg. So, I'm gonna keep on training it to get stronger

Hey, that's terrific news and gives me hope for getting back on the hiking trails. I understand the group questions about drop foot. I had it in both feet, initially, but have now worked my way out of AFOs. I spend a lot of time on the treadmill, teaching myself the walking motions...repeat...repeat and practicing keeping my feet up. So far, have not been able to regain enough balance or strength to walk free with any degree of function. However, it's coming slow but sure. Nice to hear your story. I know how hard you've worked for it!

Quote Originally Posted by 05survivor View Post
    @peterf
    was my dream too, literally I could run in my dreams. Now, in reality too, after super intense training and never listening to what the docs say that according to medical lit I would not walk, and once I could walk then told I would never run again. Shows what they know about SCI, because we are all different it affects us all diferently, somebody should let them know to STOP trying to take away HOPE.........
    Well done! No hope = no life.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.