Thread: Hi everyone...

Hi everyone...

I haven't posted in awhile. MS seems to be kicking my butt lately...Grrr!
    Anyway, I'm losing muscle everywhere. Muscle relaxers, gabapentin etc. forever decreasing strength. Now the muscles in my arms are so weak and very small in size from the MS, I can barely use them anymore. I want to try to bring them back. I'll be using my hand weights etc. but is there any specific protein drink or something I can safely take to help increase muscle mass?
    "What has happened, has happened; What I am going through, I shall rise above; And what will come, I will meet with courage"~Hazrat Inayat Kahn

I think more protein only helps to rebuild muscle fibers that have broken down, usually from exercise. I think your body has to have that function though. I have a friend with Kennedy's Disease, a form of muscular distrophy. His body is not rebuilding his muscles faster than they are wasting.

I do use protein powder, I think it's called Monster Mass. But I don't like to eat a lot, digestion isn't great. Also I do exercise at the gym three times a week. I don't know if it helps or not, I think it does. It's cheaper than eating steak ;-)

Good luck.

I was thinking about you this morning, Snuz! Glad to hear from you. And sorry you're losing muscle mass - as am I, big-time. I don't think it would hurt to drink protein shakes, etc. to support your muscle tissue in general, though as I understand it MS causes us to lose muscle mass because certain muscles (or groups of muscles) simply aren't able to receive signals from the nerves. I agree with grommet that your body has to have the functional capacity to build muscle tissue through exercise, and with MS our demyelination outpaces regeneration. It makes sense to support the muscles that do function with a health-building diet, but I don't know of any specific foods that can reverse or slow the process of nerve-related muscle atrophy.

Hi!, I too have been thinking of you lately. Wish I had the answers for you, but David is experiencing the same thing. Thought the warmer weather would make things better, meaning he could get outside and enjoy things more, but he just seems to have no energy, sits there sleeping all day long. ((((hugs))))
    Lisa

Hi! I had often thought of posting when I've come to cruise but most days I can't accomplish much before my hands get rigid and won't bend or unbend. I've missed you guys! Thanks Grommet, Bonnette, MSWIFE1 for caring and answering! As far as the muscle building...I didn't think MS would let me rebuild...but I'll try. I've never read about...and never seen it discussed anywhere.
    "What has happened, has happened; What I am going through, I shall rise above; And what will come, I will meet with courage"~Hazrat Inayat Kahn

Hi Snuz, I know what you mean about the hands. My left one acts more like a club, sometimes - or a bookend!

Awhile back, there was a discussion about how muscle wasting can continue in spite of exercise, and Dr. Young said it was because the axons, themselves, are subject to demyelination (in addition to the nerve tracts). I wish I could find the thread, but it was about something else and the part I'm referring to was a side discussion. Anyhow, we persevere, right? I'm working on it, too. My quads and hamstrings are weak and atrophied, but whatever is left can still theoretically get stronger. So, as Chris Chappell says, onward and upward!

Hi Snuz - if I were you, I'd call a few dieticians (different than nutritionist) and see if any have experience working with people who have MS. They might be able to come up with some good products, or an eating plan for you. I feel like those of us with impaired nervous systems (i have an SCI) need to be careful about our quality of calories and such.

I can't say how much I really appreciate all of you, this thread has really gotten me to think a whole new direction. I hate this disease and just wish things could be simpler for all of you. (us)

MSWIFE1, I really appreciate you and all who struggle with this disease, too!