Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SORE BUTT under the skin

Angry SORE BUTT under the skin

T12L1 incomplete 5 months post.
    When I got out of my wheelchair, my skin would tingle and burn, on my bottom. I can not feel the surface of my skin on my butt area. But inside, is in fire. Currently it hurts so bad I'm afraid to get out of bed. My tail bone feels very sore. It feels like the area between my skin an bones is not very happy. I'm in the process of getting a 4 inch ROHO. At this point if I push on my bone area's down there even 5 pounds it hurts inside. Been staying of my butt more and more. Helps some but is now sore in the morning after sleeping in my side all night long. Surface of the skin looks good. What gives. Try ed searching but all post about pressure sores on the surface

Hi,

Its very possible this is neuropathic pain. I would discuss with your clinician the possible use of meds such as gabapentin to see if this may help. I have heard of this feeling before.

Also, continue to keep an eye on the location for any redness or breakdown, which you have been doing. Also, definitely make sure you have the correct cushion and get it checked by a therapist skilled in seating evaluation.

AAD

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I'm a t-11 and my butt hurts too. 3yrs. post and never had any actual sores, but it is really hard to sit still because I'm always uncomfortable. I don't take any meds and won't. I don't notice the discomfort as long as I don't sit still too long and stay active. It made it hard to take college classes because of the discomfort though.

I'm a T4 complete (1983) and experience butt soreness as well, which varies from hardly noticeable to, occasionally, very disconcerting. No rhyme or reason and it's not correlated with any skin irritation or change in cushions, sitting posture, etc. Just part of the vagaries of having an SCI. Usually a good night's sleep (always on my side) is the best treatment, though sometimes I wake up to a sore butt -- go figure. From my experience, the pain doesn't respond to over-the-counter analgesics and I have not sought out stronger prescription medicine.

My booty gets sore as well. I talked to a new OT about this recently, and she thinks it's due to myofascial length - that mine is too short & me sitting up all the time just pulls on everything and makes me sore. They did some myofascial release in the glute area (and hips, and legs, and pretty much everywhere else) and my sitting tolerance has gone up a lot.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I find this thread interesting, when I tell my rehab dr my ass hurts, he has no clue and tells me I cannot have "feeling" there. glad to know I'm not alone with this.

Hey
    Talked to my rehab doc, and he prescribed gabapentin. Seems like there are a lot of side affects. Will keep you posted on results. This myofascial length sounds like something to look into.

What do you call a gay dinosaur? A megasoreass.

This is a little bit of info about myofascial release. Every therapist will do it differently, and they've all got their own style of what they call it - but someone who does bodywork will often know about it (it's different than massage - subtler and more focused). My OT does work that is based on Structural Integration, and it's really helping me. I wish it worked faster, but I'm definitely getting some relief. I was having trouble with shoulder, hip, butt & back.

http://www.myofascialrelease.com/fas...forpatient.asp

I've spent the last year trying to find out why my left butt cheek burns/hurts whether I sitting in that chair are lying in bed. A CT scan reveals that I have atrophy on that left side and mild arthritis in my hip joints. Nothing I've tried so far seems to please the pain now my Dr. Wants me to try eight anti inflammatory medication called Meloxican. Unfortunately I'm also having abdominal pain and they want me to get permission from my gastroenterologist before taking it and she's out of town for a week.
    The joys of SCI never seem to end

I hope you all find a solution to your pain
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

I'm a little confused about the hole thing. If its neuropathic pain, does that mean that the brain is saying that you should be feeling something because your sitting? The first time in my chair. after about an hour, my skin started to tingle. Thought that being a T12L1 incomplete that I was feeling something down there. But Jschism a T11 and Stephen 212 a T4 complete, have the same problem. If its all in my head my brain is doing an amazing job. If I roll up on one side I con feel the pressure come of one side. Jschism idea about staying active seems to help. If this is phantom pain then one should feel it in other places. Like in the feet on the standing frame, or the side of the hips or legs when sleeping. Maybe its just me, but it seems like theres something missing in this equation.