Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High Pressure Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I don't put the nut on the valve. It is only there so the tube won't slide. It won't slide if there is air in the tire. I think they were designed with a bike in mind and the stresses it gets.

If I do put the nut on, I just put it on finger tight.
    Definitely don't over-tighten the nut, it cuts the innertube against the rim. Suck! I've done it. Finger tight is the way to go.

I need to read up on the tires sci_otr has posted about.

I am not sure what kind I have, but they say 100psi. I am lucky to have 45psi (cheap air compressor. It can go higher, but I can't turn the knob any tighter) in them, most of the time it is less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post

I am not sure what kind I have, but they say 100psi. I am lucky to have 45psi (cheap air compressor. It can go higher, but I can't turn the knob any tighter) in them, most of the time it is less than that.
    A couple of years ago I bought a very good handpump from Nashbar. About fifty bucks, it takes me to 145psi. I think it goes another twenty or so pounds but it takes about all I've got to get the last few pounds to 145. I can lift my body off the ground on those last pumps.

I've had electric air pumps but never had one that really worked. Tons of noise, takes forever and can't do the high-pressure. If there is a really good quiet strong electric pump out there, I'd like someone to point me to it. I figure if you pay enough, you could find it. Boy those cheap ones suck.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    A couple of years ago I bought a very good handpump from Nashbar. About fifty bucks, it takes me to 145psi. I think it goes another twenty or so pounds but it takes about all I've got to get the last few pounds to 145. I can lift my body off the ground on those last pumps.

I've had electric air pumps but never had one that really worked. Tons of noise, takes forever and can't do the high-pressure. If there is a really good quiet strong electric pump out there, I'd like someone to point me to it. I figure if you pay enough, you could find it. Boy those cheap ones suck.
    I've been using the Sport Aid branded electric pump every Sunday for 4 years, or so, topping off 6 tires (4@145psi and 2@65psi). It's loud but does the 145psi without a struggle. And it'll start my car if the battery is dead, which for some reason seems to happen more than it should, these days. Keeps a charge for a couple months of my use, too. Was less than $50. I've been pleased with it.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

SCI_OTR gave a link to some Schwalbe tubes with schrader valves, it wasn't tires.

If you are running at 45 psi, you will be amazed what your chair will feel like at 100 psi.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post

I also have a nice hand pump that we use and as you say, it takes affort to get the last few pumps in.

I use the Serfas FMP-500 floor pump that my local bike shop sells. It reaches 145psi and works great so far (about 6 months).
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

You are killing your arms and shoulders. Get that pressure up there! A good compressor is well worth investing in.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    You are killing your arms and shoulders. Get that pressure up there! A good compressor is well worth investing in.
    x2...

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I've been using the Sport Aid branded electric pump every Sunday for 4 years, or so, topping off 6 tires (4@145psi and 2@65psi). It's loud but does the 145psi without a struggle. And it'll start my car if the battery is dead, which for some reason seems to happen more than it should, these days. Keeps a charge for a couple months of my use, too. Was less than $50. I've been pleased with it.
    I'm impressed. I've seen that little pump at Sportaid for years but figured it was the same as the cheap stuff I'd gotten/seen at hardware stores. Glad to hear it works so well. Sportaid doesn't always sell great stuff:

Reacher - jaws broke in first five seconds
    Gloves - three sizes too big (ordered medium, fit gigantic)
    Other stuff over the years I can't remember.

Thanks for the tip on the pump :-)