Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High Pressure Tires

High Pressure Tires

I make this post mostly for any people questioning wanting high pressure tires.

Yesterday I had (yet another) flat, more on that later. The timing was really bad as we were heading to Michigan International Speedway for the race and this led me to using my rims/tires from my old Quickie, which are some mag wheels and 24 x 1 3/8 tires. Wow, did these tires bring this wonderful, easy moving chair down! I cannot believe I used to use these things!! It simply makes for lously pushing! While dealing with keeping the high pressure tires up and hard is annoying at times, is well worth it.

On a side note with high pressure tires, I have had more flats in the past 1.5 years than in my prior 28 years. Now, to be fair, I have learned that every flat was my fault, but still. What has happened is failure where the valve stem connects with the tube. After a number of flats, I found I was bracing my hand under my rim and at times, without knowing, I was bending the valve stem over.

On the issue yesterday, the day prior I had my Dad pump up my tires and he tightened the nut on the presta valve and the sorry design of that tube appears to have only one nut, and that on the outside, so we suspect it was pulling the tube up through the hole and pinched it.

I need t quit being cheap and order the tubes SCI_OTR has posted several times.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Thanks for the information!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I'm still running the original tires and 'full metal' Schrader valve tubes that came with my Lasher in July of '08. Almost 4 years. Those tubes work well, for me! Well worth the extra coin, IMO. They are they same ones SCI_OTR has posted, in the past.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

to be fair, Dale, you are a para with fully functioning hands, are you not? Those of us with cervical level injuries don't fair so well when it comes to all things mechanical. Keeping tubes around is great, providing of course I am with something that is able to change it. Otherwise it's just a waste of a brand new tube when they puncture or pinch it.

I'm lucky enough to have a "spare" set of LXs with hi-pressure pneumatics. I leave them in my vehicle and everywhere I go there they are. Flats suck.

Yeah, I have a T12 SCI, fused from T10-L3. Even so, I have a set of rims with Shox solid tires installed for those times when I just couldn't imagine dealing with a flat. Even though in 5 years I've only ever had one, while installing a tongue-in-groove hardwood floor, I ran over a staple.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    to be fair, Dale, you are a para with fully functioning hands, are you not? Those of us with cervical level injuries don't fair so well when it comes to all things mechanical. Keeping tubes around is great, providing of course I am with something that is able to change it. Otherwise it's just a waste of a brand new tube when they puncture or pinch it.

I'm lucky enough to have a "spare" set of LXs with hi-pressure pneumatics. I leave them in my vehicle and everywhere I go there they are. Flats suck.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I don't put the nut on the valve. It is only there so the tube won't slide. It won't slide if there is air in the tire. I think they were designed with a bike in mind and the stresses it gets.

If I do put the nut on, I just put it on finger tight.

I am quite frustrated. I went to the bike shop and I was wrong on my theory of the valve issue. There is about an 1.5" slit in the top of my tire, I don't know how I missed it. Anyway, I am frustrated as I would like to overnight two new tires and I would also like the tubes SCI_OTR suggests but the link he gives, they don't answer the phone and I don't trust them to pick up the web order today, plus they don't give an overnight option at check out, yet they do ship overnight. SportAid carries the tires but not the tubes. Schwalbe is out of stock on the tire I need (and very expensive.) This is ridiculous! Time is running out for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    I am quite frustrated. I went to the bike shop and I was wrong on my theory of the valve issue. There is about an 1.5" slit in the top of my tire, I don't know how I missed it. Anyway, I am frustrated as I would like to overnight two new tires and I would also like the tubes SCI_OTR suggests but the link he gives, they don't answer the phone and I don't trust them to pick up the web order today, plus they don't give an overnight option at check out, yet they do ship overnight. SportAid carries the tires but not the tubes. Schwalbe is out of stock on the tire I need (and very expensive.) This is ridiculous! Time is running out for the day.
    Honestly; for these reasons are why I keep an extra set of both in the closet. When I get my Dino wheels, my SLXs will be my emergency spare set and the extra tires will be mounted and ready to roll at a moment's notice. I would also consider the extra set to be a wider set for off-road if I did a lot of that or even a solid set if they ever make one that truly compares to a high pressure tire.

Anyhow, sorry it sucks for now but; you could always just put your orders in and roll on your old mags for the time being.

That will be my goal SirGCal, getting an extra set, but as we all know, that is not cheap, so I will probably hold for a time.

I did finally order through SportAid and they are sending me a set overnight; I could have waited an extra day and saved a lot of money, and maybe should have, but I want (need) my chair back in normal working order. The Quickie rims/tires do not fit the best either and make for rough pushing. Right now I have one Spinergy on and one old; I thought this would bother me but I much prefer it and wish I would have went this route yesterday at MIS.

Everyday Bike may have made a sale if they had someone answer the phone.

I have never had a flat. I've been on Schwalbe Marathon's for .. two or three years now. I run them at 145 psi like the sidewall says. I have Schwalbe high-pressure rim tape and Schwalbe high-pressure innertubes with the very cool fully threaded valve stem that uses a locknut to keep it to the rim. I use locktite on the nut. I can go quite a while without needing to pump them up again. Very happy with them but .. they are freaking heavy tires. Still, no flats and I have gone over glass (accidentally).

Curious to try Right-Runs or Speed-Runs. Have two more sets of Marathons to go through before then. They cost a bloody fortune (close to $100 bucks with ship from Sportaid). So I will be using them. I probably will stick with them since they have worked so well, though I am curious to try the other Schwalbe tires. Less weight or easier pusing is always nice to have.