Thread: Test rode some Corima Wheels today on my FRH-1

Test rode some Corima Wheels today on my FRH-1

Pretty amazing, the handcycle is definately faster, especially going into a head wind. This Handcycle look's really tricked out now. Think I'm going to buy them, a friend is selling them to me for $500.00. Seems like a good deal, they have brand new Conti tubular tires on them too. The main thing I'm nervous about with these wheels is if I get a flat it's a nightmare because the tubular tires need to be glued on and I can imagine if I try to ride it back to my truck on a flat it would probabley damage the rim and new these are like $800.00 each. Guess I'd be best off carrying an extra tire and some glue unless I could temporarly put a tube in one of these with low pressure to get me back to the truck? anyone know if this can be done, maybe slit the tire open with a knife and sneak a tube into it?

The coolness factor of these thing's though is amazing. I was really turning head's on the bike path and getting all kind's of comment's. One kid said "wow, that thing is the coolest thing ever created" when I passed him. I was cruising along around 18 mph on the flat which is pretty good for me.

Oh ya, anybody know where I can get the insert's that cover the air valve stem on these wheel's? As you can see it's missing and probabley messing with the aerodynamics of the wheel's. When I was going into a strong head wind I could hear the oscillating sound of air as the wheel is pretty close to my ear's. I suppose I could just contact Corima? Not sure if Sportaid might just sell this type of thing?
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 06-18-2011 at 10:02 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Great looking wheels! On 'normal' bikes these types of wheels are saved for the big races which are supported. So if you have a flat, basically race over and wait for the support vehicle with a spare wheel or to take you home. So keep your tubulars for racing and your 'regular' wheels for training (oh, and as a spare set to give the support vehicle). The zipps look pretty cool too - are they clinchers?

Oh - and you can buy the special sticky covers for the holes, but the heavy duty black 'gaffa' or fabric tape works just as well.

Blog Entries
    Gaffer's tape - 'way better than duct tape - you can get it from Amazon. Very cool wheels Curt!
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Curt,

I have a set of tubular Corima Aero rims (45mm profile) and only use them in competitions. If you want to use them everyday, you can carry a tubular tire and Tufo´s gluing tape. It´s easier to use them than glueing a tire if you have an emergency.

I also recommend using a tire sealant with the tubulars.

On race chairs (in old, old days) we trained w what we raced. Used to carry pre-stretched spare tubular w CO2 cartridge and filler (sportaid). Maybe carry a couple of plastc tire irons as well. As long as flat is on rear it was easy to pull on pre-stretched spare relying on glue residual on wheel, then fill with CO2 and filler. Enough to get you home w/o destroying rim.

Thanks for the info guys. That's what the guy recommended who I bought the wheels from is that I put on new tires and use the pre-stretched old tires which are currently on there as spares if I did get a flat. He was telling me he use to shave 10 minutes off his marathons with these wheels and tires vs. wire wheels. That's pretty amazing. I guess the tubulars have less of a rolling resistance and the wheels themselves slip through the air better.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curt,

No way someone can shave 10 minutes by only changing from regular to carbon aero wheels, but yes, there´s a difference. More noticeable if you ride fast (20mph+).

As for the rolling resistance, many serious wheels/tire reviews have found the tubulars have MORE rolling resistance than their clincher versions, but they´re undoubtedly lighter and provide better climbing/acceleration.

Some top triathlon athletes use clinchers, since they just need to keep a regular pace.

I´ll try to find the site with tubular x clincher rolling resistance tests.