Thread: Slow Motility

Slow Motility

Could someone with SCI have gastroparesis? I have done research and gastroparesis is can be caused by a lot of different reasons.....slow motility from nerve damage. I use to eat a lot of fiber and got so many impactions so I went on the gastroparesis diet which consits of low fiber/low fat diet.I don't have the vomitting or upset stomach that goes with gastroparesis. I stay hungry all the time so am I crazy to think I have gastroparesis???

I take stool softeners while on low fiber diet and do not have the impactions anymore. I want to eat normal again but afraid to after reading what causes gastroparesis. What should i do??? Please someone give me advice.

The nervous system is located in spinal cords so it could be gastroparesis,right?

Are you drinking enough? When eating fiber, you have to have enough water on board or you get blocked. A good minimum rule of thumb is to take your weight and divide by 2 to determine minimum ounces of h2o needed per day. In other words, if you weigh 120, you need a minimum of 60 oz. of water a day. If you eat loads of fiber, increase h2o beyond your half weight number of ounces. If you become overheated, run a fever, have a UTI or other infection, bump h2o intake.

Other liquids (sodas, alcohol, coffee, tea, etc.) don't generally count in your h2o intake. There can be substances in those other beverages that are dehydrating to your body.

Check with your physiatrist for the name of a good gastroenterologist familar with issues of paralysis. Hope you find what works for you.

Hello
    I've had GP for some time. Way before my SCI. The vargas nerve to the stomach is up pretty high. How high is your SCI. Having a slow colon will make you feel like you have GP.

My injury level is C4-5

SCI/D does slow down the motility of your digestive system. The SCI nurses note that the average transit time for food (the time it takes to go from intake to output) in AB folks ranges from 8-24 hours, but it's closer to 72 hours for folks with SCI/D. That in and of itself, however, is not gastroparesis.

I take several medications that cause constipation, and combining them with a high fiber diet turned my stool into rocks. Even drinking six liters of water every day in conjunction with other interventions (stool softeners, probiotics, didn't relieve the constipation. What did work was exactly what you found: cutting back on the fiber. Now that I'm no longer taking in 30g of fiber every day, I am rarely constipated and when I notice it happening, a 500 mg magnesium supplement returns my stool to being soft but firm.

Being hungry all the time may be a side-effect of your low-fiber diet. One of the effects of a ketogenic diet (high in protein, low in carbs) is being hungry all the time.

If you feel you need to know whether this really is gastroparesis or just the typical neurogenic bowel issues, do as LaMem advised and consult a gastroenterologist who has experience with people who have SCI/D. Just be aware that since you've already found that a low fiber, low fat diet works for you, the doctor will likely just tell you to stick with that -- especially if you do have gastroparesis as the treatment options for that condition are so limited.

Best wishes.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

It truly could be the slowing of the intestine that is common in folks with SCI, especially those who have a higher level of injury. However, if you want to know what's going on, gallo to your SCI doc and get a good GI doc to work you up. In all likelihood, he will tell you to stick to your diet, at least for the time being until tests, etc can be completed.
    CKF

Hi again
    This is where I go for GP help
    http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/gastroparesis/
    hope it helps. Good luck with GI doc. I was sick for 5 years (pre sci). Had a complete GI work up and was told to live with it. Finally figured it out my self and took some
    motility agents plus the diet. What a difference. Read up on this web site. Tons of info good luck

My daughter had post viral gastro paresis for almost 2 years after mono, but it is now gone . . .I promised if she ever got well I would post because I know how hopeless this condition can feel. She was literally wasting away . . .throwing up 4-5 times a day-I was so depressed I could hardly function after watching her suffer so long, we had been to 26 doctors, and everytime she started to think she was better, she would just get sick again. She had tons of complications. She couldn't take any of the medications. but we finally found a German product that worked wonders for her . . .it was called Iberogast . . . we got it through Amazon and it was $29.99. She has also cut all gluten out of her diet, although she did not test positive for Celiac, the homeopath she saw (after 26 medical doctors) said she was "gluten intollerant". Anyhow, don't give up hope, my once fragile 18 year old daughter went to regionals with her high school track team this year, and is off to college in the fall. She is muscular and strong and gives God all the glory for leading us to the right path of healing. Praise God for her recovery and I am praying for all of you who suffer with this terrible illness. "By His stripes we are healed"