Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question about CV's and job interviews

@rfbdorf

We've tried a variety of medications. I still take one anti-seizure medication that has significantly reduced the average number of seizures I have. Of the others, some had no discernible effect, and some actually increased the likelihood of me having a seizure.

At this point, my only other option is brain surgery, but that seems to be something that isn't usually considered in cases where the patient isn't having seizures daily. Also, the risks are huge, so even if I could find a surgeon willing to do it (they usually only do it on children), I'm pretty sure I wouldn't really want to go for that.

There is counseling available to me through the government's employment office, but I went there three weeks ago, and when the lady behind the counter saw that I'm in a wheelchair, she told me in so many words that people like me are the reason social security exists. In other words: I shouldn't expect to find a job, I should just take the government's hand-out, and be done with it.

re the epilepsy - I'd do the same in your case - surgery only if something is really intolerable and worth the risks.
    That's a shame about the person in the employment office. She was being lazy. Is it worth giving that another try - speaking to someone else, and convincing them that you really want to contribute to the economy rather than draw on it? If you keep on going back, your persistence may help show them that you mean it.
    Best of luck
    - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf View Post
    I suggest that you make it your job at the present to find out just what is your legal situation. What does Belgium - or the EU - have in place that you can use; what protection do they provide you?
    I wanted to suggest something like this. It sounds like you guys in Europe need employment and discrimination laws - what better example than the predicament you find yourself in! Be the catalyst for change!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Saranoya View Post
    There is counseling available to me through the government's employment office, but I went there three weeks ago, and when the lady behind the counter saw that I'm in a wheelchair, she told me in so many words that people like me are the reason social security exists. In other words: I shouldn't expect to find a job, I should just take the government's hand-out, and be done with it.
    that lady is an idiot, and I say that b/c she has zero understanding of your life outside of what she can see.

okay, all things taken into consideration, if I were in your shoes, I'd take the government's handout, BUT use it temporarily as a means to pay the bills and feed yourself during this time (if needed).

read this in its entirety... it may give you some fresh ideas:

http://www.slideshare.net/choehn/rec...aduate-1722966

Scott, thanks!

It's an intriguing way of looking at things, and, given the fact that I do qualify for a monthly social security check, I may be in a great position to implement Charlie Hoehn's 'free work' idea.

People here continue to amaze me with the ideas and resources they provide.