Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training a puppy??

You could try playing with her outside if she doesn't poop right away. Exercise will make her poop. I know you said you're not interested in a crate. I crate trained my pup and was told to feed him a few meals in the crate. Dogs don't poop where they eat. My dog pooped in the crate on the first night. The next day I fed him his meals in the crate and he never messed in his crate again. You could try this in the playpen perhaps?

You said you were allergic?

Quote Originally Posted by Kankan View Post
    It's too bad I'm allergic to dogs and cats or I'd get one. Yes, the nurturing, caring helper in me always wants to believe people can change. Well, it's part of my profession. I know a lot of single women and sadly prince charming does not always come along. Ahhhh, so many games that it could drive a woman to join a convent.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...83#post1295883
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

you have a new puppy and are already upset with her? google "care of new puppies" . Puppies poop, pee and chew and vomit in addition to being cute. Like small children, they don't have good bowel/ bladder control. feed the puppy and take it outside on a regular schedule, then take it outside 25 more times and praise praise praise when it does it's business outside. I really hope you read up about puppy care before you made the decision to get one. p.s. put everything out of reach that you don't want chewed.

Best book, "No Bad Dogs".
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

I suppose taking care of a baby and a puppy can be hard.

But don't you walk the dog? I mean, the dog needs at least two one hour walks every day, morning and evening and two small walks in between? That is the time for poop and pee and playing.

I want a dog but understand it is too much work, I can't get up in the morning in the winter and stay out for an hour in the cold. And I would like to have a service dog but then nobody else can go out with it and feed it. If I break the rules, I loose the dog.

I think I keep my cats, they are not much work.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    But don't you walk the dog? I mean, the dog needs at least two one hour walks every day, morning and evening and two small walks in between? That is the time for poop and pee and playing.

I want a dog but understand it is too much work, I can't get up in the morning in the winter and stay out for an hour in the cold. And I would like to have a service dog but then nobody else can go out with it and feed it. If I break the rules, I loose the dog.

I think I keep my cats, they are not much work.
    She is tiny and more of an indoor dog that doesn't require much exercise. I don't walk her, but have a big back yard she plays in.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    I suppose taking care of a baby and a puppy can be hard.

Yes, I am a bit overwhelmed thinking about it. I was only a few weeks pregnant when I got my puppy and did not know. I would have waited if I knew I was pregnant, but I'm very attached to her now.

Quote Originally Posted by avictoria View Post
    you have a new puppy and are already upset with her? google "care of new puppies" . Puppies poop, pee and chew and vomit in addition to being cute. Like small children, they don't have good bowel/ bladder control. feed the puppy and take it outside on a regular schedule, then take it outside 25 more times and praise praise praise when it does it's business outside. I really hope you read up about puppy care before you made the decision to get one. p.s. put everything out of reach that you don't want chewed.
    She has gotten a lot better and yes I have read a bunch on yorkies by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kankan View Post
    Yes, I am a bit overwhelmed thinking about it. I was only a few weeks pregnant when I got my puppy and did not know. I would have waited if I knew I was pregnant, but I'm very attached to her now.
    It would seem that you knew, given that in your own words, you stated you got INTENTIONALLY pregnant less than three months of being with the baby daddy, so the baby was already being planned before you got the puppy.

In any case, puppies are easy to get attached to, but they come with a lot of responsibility. That's even more the case with having a baby. The responsibility of neither should be made on a whim.