Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: eLegs for SCI'ers

Smile eLegs for SCI'ers

Here is a breakthrough device undergoing clinical trials at 10 noted Rehab Centers around the country, which will aid paras and quads to WALK. It uses sensors to read patient's intentions i.e., standing, walking, sitting and with the aid of computers and mechanical actuators, provides motion. They hope to start trials this summer.Check out the video at:

http://berkeleybionics.com/2010/eleg...-personal-use/

Seems like 3 or 4 different enterprises are developing this same technology.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Stano--thanks for sharing this exciting information.

Is it just me, but I find this of little interest. I don't want to be walking around like I am looking for Sarah Connor. Maybe when it is more compact and less robotic I would consider it but for the state of the art as it is now I would rather be in my chair.

eCrap they call it
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

I think it would be very good to bring back muscle, and as it says muscle memory.
    not crap at all, and I would totally do it if I had the chance just to develope the muscle memory and the follow through with stepping, which I have lost.

i like the invention one problem only will it be affordable?

Come on guys. This is just the first step and should be encouraged.

It's like the Apple IIe from the early 80's. Give it a few years (and encouragement) and it will be the equivalent of the Ipad....

The biggest thing going in our favor is that this technology has a MASSIVE potential market - OLD PEOPLE.

Anything to help the ageing generations stay mobile will trickle down to the disabled too. Gotta love wealthy old people and their savings....

I remember reading about this last fall, when Time named it one of the top inventions of 2010. I think Mark is right - it should be encouraged, and encouraging. No, it's not perfect. No, it isn't actual walking. It is, however, a step forward (pun intended) and offers hope for something more. I can't see that many people would be able to afford it independently, but if such a device were made available in rehab centers, it could potentially help maintain bone and muscle integrity, or at least slow down the degenerative process.

Mark, your observation cracked me up. Awesome observation, so true. I'm on the "it's a good thing" bandwagon too. It will only get better and much less time spent with FDA approval process.