Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr Wise Young speaks about Spinal Injury & Cord Blood

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    I'm sure it is discussed in detail somewhere on this website so I apologize in advance for this question but how compelling were the animal studies that led you to human trials using cord blood? Were the recovery rates very substantial and in chronically injured animals?

thanks
    Christopher,

The preclinical data are as follows:

1. Umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells. Over a dozen independent laboratories have reported that human umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells (UCBMC), particularly preparations that are enriched for CD34+ cells, reduce tissue damage and improve neurological recovery when transplanted into the spinal cords of rats and dog after spinal cord contusion. The cells regenerate, remyelinate, and restore locomotor function in animals when transplanted as late as 2 weeks after injury.

2. Two groups has reported that lithium stimulates spinal cord regeneration. The first was the laboratory of Wutian Wu in 2004 from Hong Kong University who found that the combination of lithium and chondroitinase resulted in regeneration of over 40% of the rubrospinal tract after spinal cord hemisection. The second study was by Dill, et al. 2008 from Dallas published in the Journal of Neuroscience, showing that lithium stimulates regeneration of the corticospinal tract, as well as serotonergic and other axons, in rats with spinal cord injury. In addition, Su, et al. from the Wu laboratory reported that lithium stimulates neural stem cells in the spinal cord.

3. Lithium stimulates umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells to proliferate and to produce neurotrophins in vitro, particularly NGF, NT3, and GDNF. When we transplanted neonatal rat blood mononuclear cells into the spinal cord and treated the rats with lithium, the rats had much greater numbers of these cells in the spinal cord at 2 weeks and that lithium treated spinal cords with rat neonatal blood mononuclear cells had significantly more mRNA of NGF, NT3, and GDNF in the spinal cord.

The animal data is limited because there is no rodent equivalent of umbilical cord blood and there is no data from chronic spinal cord injury. Most of the studies to date have transplanted human umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells into rats either shortly and within 2 weeks after injury. While human cells do survive for 2-4 weeks after injury, we are interested to see what would happen if we used immune-compatable neonatal rat mononuclear cells that survive longer and are combined with lithium therapy. Although we have tried three times, we have not yet been able to obtain a immune-compatible source of neonatal rat mononuclear cells that survive transplantation into injured spinal cords.

We decided to go ahead with human clinical trials because HLA-matched cord blood is available, the data from transplanting human umbilical cord blood into the spinal cord are so promising, and lithium will stimulate these cells to proliferate and produce neurotrophins. After showing that lithium can be safely given to people with chronic spinal cord injury, we are currently doing a phase 2 trial of increasing doses of HLA-matched umbilical cord blood cells transplanted to the spinal cord. To date, our trial in Hong Kong suggests that HLA-matched umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells can be safely transplanted into the spinal cord and some patients are reporting sensory and other improvements although it is still too early to tell whether these improvements are lasting and higher doses of the cells are safe and have more beneficial effects.

There are unfortunately not many eligible patients with chronic ASIA A C5-T10 spinal cord injury in Hong Kong and thus recruitment of subjects to the trial in Hong Kong has been slower than anticipated. However, we are going ahead to extend the trial to Kunming in China where there are more patients and the patients will receive intensive locomotor training after the transplants. If this phase 2 trial shows safety and some efficacy of the therapy, we will proceed to a phase 3 trial in China, U.S., India, and Norway next year.

Wise.

So, there are improvements after injection...sensory and loco-motor...toe wiggling...WoW !!! Great Start !!!!! CongRats (CongHuman :-) Dr. Wise !!! If proven and working with right dose calibrated - How fast we can see 10,000 people injected? First should be the worst cases, I guess....
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

comad. Where does anything say anything about toe wiggling? I missed it and want to read. Do you mean geron or wise?
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

"I know that the reversal of flaccid paralysis sounds daunting but I think that we will be surprised by how flexible the spinal cord is.
    Wise."

Dr.Wise, what for to count on good luck, you have an impressive arsenal of new research data that allow you to try deliberately, segment by segment recreate the system, why you don't mention them?

Thanks Wise - that sounds very promising - the chondroitinaise seems interesting too although I think I read that there is none readily available any where in the world at present.

I've never lived in Christhurch but I used to visit my niece who did live there for a time. He he - I thought I'd clear that up.
    Last edited by Christopher Paddon; 06-23-2011 at 01:09 AM.

Wow! What's the population of Hong Kong? - you'd think there'd be enough patients for your trial

population of hongkong is roughly 7 million

Wise as i have L1 compression injury but can walk like normal person but loss of bladder bowel and sexual function. Is this injury with spasticity or flaccidity? If not flaccidity then can u keep me in ur phase3 trials?
    In Brazil trial L1 patient have recovered bladder bowel function and also moments in legs with mesenchymal cells combined with some hormones and proteins. What u will say about that dear? How that patient got so much recovery and functions?

This is awesome stuff Dr Young - seriously awesome news.

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    comad. Where does anything say anything about toe wiggling? I missed it and want to read. Do you mean geron or wise?
    no...not yet. I didn't see this toe thing in any report...just expression ...we hope ans we know it will come.
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine