Thread: These cures are no longer science fiction

These cures are no longer science fiction

These cures are no longer science fiction
    ROBERT McEWEN
    From Thursday's Globe and Mail
    Published Thursday, Jun. 16, 2011 2:00AM EDT

Do stem cells hold the cure for cancers, heart disease, diabetes and the other diseases that kill millions each year? Absolutely.

My wife and I donated more than $21-million in that belief.

While stem cells were discovered 50 years ago at the University of Toronto, it wasn’t until the past decade that their astounding potential to change medicine’s entire approach to fighting disease really took hold. This week 4,200 stem cell researchers from 52 countries are meeting in Toronto to discuss cures that were thought to be science fiction a generation ago, but that are already becoming a reality.

Stem cells are unspecialized cells that can renew themselves indefinitely. This means they can generate specialized cells, such as muscle cells and heart cells. So if stem cells in a lab can be coaxed into producing different specialized cells, they can provide a virtually unlimited source of cells to repair or replace damaged or diseased cells and tissues.

Some of their possible uses include creating fully functional heart tissue ready for grafting on to a damaged heart; repairing spinal cord injuries using nerve stem cells; restoring vision lost through diabetes and macular degeneration; stimulating stem cells in the brain to reduce the effects of stroke and “curing” diabetes with pancreatic stem cells that produce insulin.

These advances share three intriguing qualities. First, they embody “regenerative medicine” because they harness the power of stem cells to repair or replace diseased cells, tissues and organs. Second, they’re all being worked on right now by scientists at the McEwen Centre for Regenerative Medicine at the University Health Network in Toronto, which is Canada’s largest medical research hub. But even more important, they’re all part of the Centre’s Accelerated Discovery Initiative that has put a two-year time frame and clearly established outcomes around them all. Indeed, these projects were created precisely because they have outstanding potential to transform basic science into clinical applications. This breakthrough research is solely funded by private donors.

read...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2062110/

I am a big proponent of stem cell research, which will undoubtedly prove to be instrumental in repairing damaged bodies. I would also like to see a huge movement toward making healthy, unprocessed foods more affordable and attainable for the masses, as it's been shown that cultures that consume a whole foods diet with zero to minimal processing, have extremely low rates of degenerative diseases such as cancer, type 2 diabetes, heart disease and even osteoporosis. The diet itself, whether it be high or low fat, high or low carbohydrate, etc. seems far less important than whether or not the food has been subject to high levels of processing... which we know is rampant in the west, especially here in the U.S.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ptarzan80 View Post
    I am a big proponent of stem cell research, which will undoubtedly prove to be instrumental in repairing damaged bodies. I would also like to see a huge movement toward making healthy, unprocessed foods more affordable and attainable for the masses, as it's been shown that cultures that consume a whole foods diet with zero to minimal processing, have extremely low rates of degenerative diseases such as cancer, type 2 diabetes, heart disease and even osteoporosis. The diet itself, whether it be high or low fat, high or low carbohydrate, etc. seems far less important than whether or not the food has been subject to high levels of processing... which we know is rampant in the west, especially here in the U.S.
    WTF..................... ah, this is site for sci research not famine relief.

Famine is horrible but we cant cure it with stem cells.

www.faminerelieffoundation.com
    www.foodforthepoor.Org

Quote Originally Posted by ineedmyelin View Post
    WTF..................... ah, this is site for sci research not famine relief.

Famine is horrible but we cant cure it with stem cells.

www.faminerelieffoundation.com
    www.foodforthepoor.Org

What? My response had nothing to do with famine relief. The original post suggested that stem cells could potentially hold the cure for degenerative diseases such as cancer, heart disease and diabetes. I was simply making the point that these illnesses are largely preventable through good nutrition (and overall healthy lifestyle choices.)
    Last edited by Ptarzan80; 06-16-2011 at 10:52 PM.