Thread: consistancy?

consistancy?

when is consistancy established and when is it lost? for example, i did leg lifts 2 days in a row, 3 sets of 50, i didn't get to yesterday but will plan to continue today. so, was my 2 consecutive days lost since i missed a day, will it be like i'm starting from the beginning today? Or are 2 good consecutive days of any exercise lasting even if i missed a day?

I know it's a simple question but I just hope missing a day didn't hurt too much. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by abacoian View Post
    when is consistancy established and when is it lost? for example, i did leg lifts 2 days in a row, 3 sets of 50, i didn't get to yesterday but will plan to continue today. so, was my 2 consecutive days lost since i missed a day, will it be like i'm starting from the beginning today? Or are 2 good consecutive days of any exercise lasting even if i missed a day?

I know it's a simple question but I just hope missing a day didn't hurt too much. Thank you.
    Missing a day when you've already established wrokout routine and have been working out for many months is not a big deal at all, in fact it's encouraged to let your body heal.

However, especially with endurance sports such as handcycling, these three words are what you should live by:

Consistency
    Frequency
    Volume

How that translates into lifting weight I'm not sure. But you need to have a training regime in place for many months before you have consistency.

if your doing enough to really work the muscles , then days off are needed.........before sci. i would train each body part only 1 day a week..actually every 5-6 days.....sci workouts are different.....if its more of a " getting the signal there" type of exercise/movement, then u can do it frequently........if its a part that functions well, and your pushing weights, really exhausting the muscle, then u need time off for muscle recovery....be sure to take in protein and some carbs after each workout to help muscles recover
    - Rolling Thru Life -

While I understand that Ryan is different-he insists on ignoring the expectations of his level of injury (C-2 Incomplete), I do know that rest is essential. Your muscles are not different than mine in that they need to recover from a strenuous workout.

Ryan has leg pressed up to 130 pounds for 2 reps. The next workout (two to three days later) he may do only 110. His pattern is that he went from 100 to 80 to 120. It is so odd. Whatever the book says, be prepared to defy it. Your workout is your workout. Your body does not respond the same but it does still need the recovery phase. Recovery is as important as the workout.

I would not worry about missing a day. Push yourself as hard as you can, then rest those muscles for a couple of days and you will do your body the most good.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Quote Originally Posted by ekephart View Post
    Ryan has leg pressed up to 130 pounds for 2 reps. The next workout (two to three days later) he may do only 110. His pattern is that he went from 100 to 80 to 120. It is so odd.
    not odd at all....energy level, mood, food intake..vary day to day and all contribute to how you perform during your workouts...sci or not, one day you feel strong while another you can be weaker.....
    - Rolling Thru Life -