Thread: Phrenic pacer

Phrenic pacer

Does anyone know about a "pacemaker" that will stimulate the diaphragm? I think it is called a Phrenic Nerve Stimulator. My boyfriends doctor has suggested this. According to him this is not typical but my boyfriend is having problems with getting rid of the carbon monoxide but doing good at taking in oxygen. He said that once implanted it will take about a month for it to heal before it can be used. I am nervous because I haven't heard of this before.

Quote Originally Posted by Max6318 View Post
    Does anyone know about a "pacemaker" that will stimulate the diaphragm? I think it is called a Phrenic Nerve Stimulator. My boyfriends doctor has suggested this. According to him this is not typical but my boyfriend is having problems with getting rid of the carbon monoxide but doing good at taking in oxygen. He said that once implanted it will take about a month for it to heal before it can be used. I am nervous because I haven't heard of this before.
    Hi-start a new thread with this question in the title to get more responses.
    If he is a candidate I would definitely look into it.

A phrenic pacer is definitely something your boyfriend would want to consider if he isn't able to wean off the vent on his own, but imo it's way too early for that now. It's a tried and true technology that goes back several decades, nothing to be nervous about. It beats being on a vent. Just premature, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Max6318 View Post
    It is not uncommon and I know several folks who haved used them with great success. Info was in the materials I mailed you. The NEW DPS is minimally invasive and has had success with being implanted in the first few months. It can easily be turned off and removed.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Two different devices: The phrenic nerve pacer, which has been around since the mid-1970s, and the newer diaphragmatic pacer. Both are use to stimulate diaphragm movement, but the phrenic nerve pacer attaches the the phrenic nerve and the diaphragmatic pacer attaches directly to the diaphragm muscle. Both are forms of FES (functional electrical stimulation). They won't work for everyone, and generally the lower motor neuron for the diaphragm needs to be intact. The newer diaphragmatic pacer is a much less extensive surgery, so is often used sooner after injury than the phrenic pacer (which rarely is done prior to one year post injury).

(KLD)

Here's a thread full of info about the Diaphragm Pacing System (DPS) and other breathing-assistance issues:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=134394

God bless!

Bill Miller
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.