Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wheelchair backs

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    roho jetstream pro, 12 x 16. My previous chair had a 14 inch jetstream, I wen't a little lower and it seems to solve some of the problems I was having stitting in my chair long periods of time. I forget your injury level, my is of course t8.

I'm a c5/6. I checked out your back online and it looks like it wraps around you. Does this bother you when you lean over to pick stuff up off the floor. ADI backs have 2 types - 1 has 2.5 inches (active) and the other is 4 inches (deep). I probably need the deep but I wonder if it would be cumbersome.

I've got a J3 back. It's about 15.5" tall and 16" wide. I like it a lot. It's highly adjustable and supportive. I pick things up a lot and haven't had any chafing problems. The cloth cover is removable, but it seems like it would be pretty complicated to put together a direct replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    I'm a c5/6. I checked out your back online and it looks like it wraps around you. Does this bother you when you lean over to pick stuff up off the floor. ADI backs have 2 types - 1 has 2.5 inches (active) and the other is 4 inches (deep). I probably need the deep but I wonder if it would be cumbersome.
    No, not at all. I can lean over and pick stuff off the floor easily. The back is super light, its great for transferring into a car.

I have a J2 back thats the 14 standard I really liked it althou I am no longer in a 14. its in excelent shape. I wish I had a 16 in it.

The Jetstream backs are not deep. Your back height will mainly depend on YOUR needs. What height are you most comfortable and stable in? Some of it will also depend on type of back and how high you secure it on the back canes. My Jetstream the low profile.

Below are some informative threads regarding backs.

My Jetstream - low/adjustable (from thread: yo, SCI_OTR, seating challenge)
    *I always raise my back cushion up above the edge of the hard shell approx 2 inches.

Scott's Jetstream - low/fixed (from thread: it's amazing the difference an inch or so makes)

See also, thread Wheelchair Back

I use a Ride Design Corbac cushion with very adjustable upholstery. There's a bunch of straps in the back to adjust how far back you sit in various spots and you can adjust side to side support with these inserts that are included. It's helped a lot with me sitting straight. It's 18 inches tall but I mainly only use 16 inches worth, the last 2 inches keep me from going over too far back where I can't get myself up.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Here's my Jay back on my old chair. 14" high from the cushion. My new setup is basically the same, give or take half an inch. BTW, couldn't you just bolt the back onto the post like what I did? It doesn't look as pretty, but gets the job done.

Last edited by lazierdog; 06-18-2011 at 12:35 PM.

I just put an ADI active standard on my GPV,so far its not to bad and feels alittle different tho with alittle more adjustment i think i'll be very happy with it.

Ok had back on for a week or so and it feels great but im having one major problem.It seems the curved back it causing me some serious dysreflexia when i void,the sweat just poors of me for a good 15 mins .

Was never a problem with the standard back and i have noticed the same thing with my elec wheelchair when i went from flat back to curved to straighten my sitting.I guess the "curved" sections are putting extra pressure on my kidneys causing this to happen.

Interested in others thoughts or similar experience?

Quote Originally Posted by rolling01au View Post
    Ok had back on for a week or so and it feels great but im having one major problem.It seems the curved back it causing me some serious dysreflexia when i void,the sweat just poors of me for a good 15 mins .

Was never a problem with the standard back and i have noticed the same thing with my elec wheelchair when i went from flat back to curved to straighten my sitting.I guess the "curved" sections are putting extra pressure on my kidneys causing this to happen.

Interested in others thoughts or similar experience?
    That's interesting! I wonder if the curve is just in the wrong place and puts a bit of extra pressure where your body doesn't like it. If your body doesn't seem to get used to it, could you carve part of the foam away from the backrest, or add on extra foam or something to change it? I'm not familiar w/this backrest, so my input might not be very helpful, but it's a thought!