Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How often do you charge your power chair?

I have a 5 yr old Quickie S 646 SE that I use EXCLUSIVELY for extreme long distances (disability camps, expo shows, going out to sporting events, etc).

I just got back from camp on June 11. The day before I left (June 4), I charged it all night before I left. By the time I had been through 2 airports, up and down multiple ramps (including my minivan), 1 WC lift, and through grass and 1 additional hill, I had to charge it that night in the cabin. Every day until Thursday the 9th, I had to charge nightly due to the rocks, gravel, grass, sand, dirt and mud I was going through (I won an Offroading Award due to the abuse I put my chair through). I got back from the camp dance Friday night at 11:30 PM after being left behind by everyone when I was trying to negotiate a hill my chair didn't like (and asking for help because it was so dark and I couldn't see the individual cabins), I had to charge it. Saturday morning, I was able to get it to go from 6 AM until 2 PM when I finally got home (again, 3 ramps, 2 airports, my van, and a hospital for an orientation).

The next day, I turned around and got back in for a baseball game and then last weekend (June 17-19), I took it to Galveston, TX (big mistake due to their AWFUL ramps and curb cuts). I charged it again after I got home from the game and the 2 nights I was in Galveston.

All of this abuse on 2 dry cell non-removable batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by EricaBold9780 View Post

All of this abuse on 2 dry cell non-removable batteries.
    What are the batteries exactly?
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuz View Post
    Anyone have an answer. If a power chair is left plugged in (for days) does it destroy the batteries?
    What batteries do you have? What charger do you have?
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.