So I am toying with the notion of doing a sprint triathlon before the end of summer. I plan to do the swim just like everyone else (with far less kicking), use a handcycle for the bike and hobble the last 3 miles on my crutches.

I am not too worried about the swim as I was a fairly successful competitive swimmer in a former life (pre-sci) and still swim as a major part of my workouts. I am most concerned with the "run". I'm pretty sure that my hips and core will probably begin protesting after the 1st mile, if not before, so I anticipate my shoulders and arms doing a lot of the work in order to reach the finish line.

With all that said, I would like to save my shoulders for the end by using my legs to pedal as much of the bike segment as I can. Unfortunately, I don't think I can rely solely on my legs so I'd like to have the option to hand cycle when necessary.

Does anyone know of any models of combination recumbent bike (with pedals) and hand cycle? The only one I have been able to find is the BerklEbike Pro. Brand new is way beyond my budget but I have been keeping an eye out for a used one for sale. I figure if I can find a few more models, it will up my chances of finding a used one in time.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-dave