Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colonoscopy Prep...

Your doctor should be able to tell you what has worked for most of his/her patients. I would think that doing the drink the night before would be ok, but better to check.
    CKF

I have never had a colonoscopy but have had procedures which have required a less than a days stay. I believe that most insurance companies pay for a 23 hour stay. As long as the stay doesn't exceed 24 hrs I don't see why you can't go in the night before and have the hospital do the prep. I went in for a baclofen pump replacement and was later put in an outpatient holding room and left the following morning. I have done this for a few other out patient procedures. *This was not considered admission to the hospital for an extended stay. It may be worth checking into.

I'm sure this is more difficult now but it worked twice after the SCI RN suggested it. Call the case manager line for your Medicare or other insurance. Explain your injury, your past and current pressure sore history and definitely add in if you have family member caregivers as this goes above and beyond. Ask for a 23 hour stay at the hospital. If you discuss this with your GI MD and/or surgeon first you normally seem to get it. Then it's soft/clear low fiber food until the morning or afternoon of check in. Docs use 4 or 5 bottles of Magnesium Ciytate and then add an IV for electrolytes. Make sure you nurse and tech have a working bedside commode and plenty of chucks around. Also talk them through how to do a 2 person transfer as soon as you hear the gurgles. Once you're through the worst and just liquid is flowing see if the can tape a collection device normally used after colon surgey to your butt and go to sleep. This worked great for me twice. The third time my GI doc had gotten his own clinic. Did the starving and Miralax and the test was a mess. I have a family history on both sides of colon cancer and the first polyps were removed at 40. I do not plan to ever hear the words 'terminal cancer' or go through that pain. You do need to talk to your GI doc and your insurance pre-admit area and talk to a case manager who is almost always a RN.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Has anyone that has a complete injury tried the angel of water colonic prep before a colonoscopy ?

my doc puts me in hospital for 2 days for prep i have a lot of ad problems and he wants to make sure i am safe and cleaned out good

Well I am 7 days out from my colonoscopy appointment . I have researched this ad nauseum: just not too many encouraging results. Some studies point to an 80% failure in SCI home prep . I have an appt tomorrow( to discuss hemmoroids and prep) but currently am planning on low fiber diet which will gradually switch to just cream soups 4 days out and then just clears for last 3 days hoping this will help. My question shoud I argue for the 4 ducloax and 238ml miralax with 64 oz gatorade or go with go lyletly that my doc wants. Also they mention a 2 day prep? wondering if this gives me a better chance or just prolongs the agony? Any additional input is appreciated.

My husband (complete T4 injury) had one it was horrible. Insurance was nice enough to admit him for the prep. He was in a puddle of poo for a whole day!!! Stool just drained out of him.
    Something that I would be aware of is that he got the worst UTI ever!!! They put a foley in him but then it was just settling in the poo puddle and he got an infection. Horrible and his bladder program has never been good since.
    The prep will be horrible but just try to keep from getting a UTI.
    Good luck, I am so sorry you have to go through this. We will be praying for you!

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    Well I am 7 days out from my colonoscopy appointment . I have researched this ad nauseum: just not too many encouraging results. Some studies point to an 80% failure in SCI home prep . I have an appt tomorrow( to discuss hemmoroids and prep) but currently am planning on low fiber diet which will gradually switch to just cream soups 4 days out and then just clears for last 3 days hoping this will help. My question shoud I argue for the 4 ducloax and 238ml miralax with 64 oz gatorade or go with go lyletly that my doc wants. Also they mention a 2 day prep? wondering if this gives me a better chance or just prolongs the agony? Any additional input is appreciated.
    I did what you did last sept. and it was the wrong thing for me. Because I was so hungry after surgery I couldn't go and they wouldn't let me eat anything solid. Finally after five days of not going I beg them to let me have something solid and as soon as I did I went and started feeling great. I left the next morning. No problems since.

I would wait and stop solids maybe three days prior.

I have done it at home which was one BIG MESS and in the hospital. Cara_m is right most insurance and Medicare will pay for a overnight stay for the procedure. Tell your doctor and do it in hospital.

Gee, where to begin...with the bad news, I guess. In 2000, I was moderately healthly,overweight, but with no known problems. PCP says its time to look up your...ah, address. So, I do the prep...no real problems...then go in for the procedure the next day. they had problems with their "air puffer", but the doctor(?) had a golf date so he plunged ahead. It HURT! I had colonoscopies before at like 10 yr intervals with no issues, but this one HURT. Three days later, I had a mild heart attack...mild, up in the back of my heart, but wound up with triple bypass. Strangely enough, the hospital never charged me for the colonoscopy.

Fast forward. I now have MS (they tell me). Legs don't work very well. A trip from lift-recliner or bed to toilet takes at best 7-8 minutes. I have a colonoscopy scheduled the week of the 18th (mild discomfort in my left side...gastro doctor wants to look).

Anyway, the plan is,I'll be admitted thru the outpatient clinic in the evening, and they will give me a Bardex enema and clean me out, hopefully without being required to leave the bed. Colonoscopy the next morning.

We'll see...