Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colonoscopy Prep...

Colonoscopy Prep...

Hey all....going to my colonoscopy next week (T-10 para - 30 yrs post).

2 quick questions:

1. I heard that SCI have more trouble emptying out their bowels for the prep for this....any way to improve my chances of not having to go back because I still got some poop in the colon?

2. How IN THE HELL do you guys do the prep? Lots of attends I'm sure. But, if I'm on my comode chair for 6 hours, I will have pressure sores galore...

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

thanks!!!

Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Try changing your diet 3-4 days ahead of your s surgery. A low residue diet (look on line for suggestions) will help. 2-3 days ahead of the surgery, change to a clear liquid diet.
    The prep will be prescribed by your doc. You can try padding your bed well with chux or getting Up on your commode. It is not fun, but hopefully the results will be worth it!

One other thing- make sure that you drink either some sports drinks - helps keep the glucose and electrolytes going.

Ckf

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    One other thing- make sure that you drink either some sports drinks - helps keep the glucose and electrolytes going.

Ckf
    Aren't the prescription colonoscopy prep solutions already glucose/electrolyte balanced, i.e., colyte, golytely etc?

GJ

They are, but it doesn't hurt to add a little, depending on how much you put out. Plus, for swome reason, it seems people are able to tolerate them a little better than plain old water.
    CKF

I have a friend who was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer about a month ago. She had surgery to remove lymph nodes and a section of the colon. Her surgeon recommended this prep before the surgery. She says it tasted and worked a lot better for her than any of the prescription colon cleansing preparations.
    The day before the procedure, eat nothing but clear liquids. Around 3 p.m. take 4 Dulcolax tablets. Then at 5 p.m, Mix a 238gm bottle of Miralax with 64 oz of Gatorade and drink it as quickly as you can.

Her comment: Not bad tasting, (although I will never drink lime Gatorade again) and no cramping...1M% easier!

Talk to your doctor about this alternative the next time you have to do a colonoscopy prep.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by rjg View Post
    do the prep 2 days out - then don't eat. it takes willpower, sure, but so do most things in life - especially whilst paralyzed.
    I don't think this is best health practice plus you still have to do the prep one way or the other, and why put yourself through the starvation for a day before the procedure. Just wondering, if you have actually done the prep for a colonoscopy in this manner?

All the best,
    GJ

actually I would suggest doing it the way the nurse suggested...3/4 days out switch to a low fibre/fiber diet, easy foods to pass through your system.

2/3 days out go clears

day before..do prep as suggested by your doctor. and stay on clears...good luck
    Liza R. McCollum

[QUOTE=gjnl;1382434] Her surgeon recommended this prep before the surgery. She says it tasted and worked a lot better for her than any of the prescription colon cleansing preparations.
    The day before the procedure, eat nothing but clear liquids. Around 3 p.m. take 4 Dulcolax tablets. Then at 5 p.m, Mix a 238gm bottle of Miralax with 64 oz of Gatorade and drink it as quickly as you can.

Hi all, I have a colonoscopy scheduled for this Thursday. I received instructions similar to those mentioned above. The only difference is that in the instructions I was given, I've been instructed to split the mixture into 2 separate doses. One beginning at 5 PM and the other to be completed 4 to 5 hours before the test. My concern is that I won't have an attendant available to do the 2nd dose, so I am unsure if I should do the full dose in the evening all at once. I plan on calling the doctor's office tomorrow, but I 1st wanted to see if anyone else has some suggestions. I certainly don't want to go through the process and find out that my colon hasn't been cleaned out enough and I would need to reschedule.

There are a number of old threads on this subject whcih I found helpful before doing prep and colonoscopy last year.
    The key piece of equipment for me was getting a ROHO toilet seat cover which allowed me to tolerate long time on the commode