Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: airplane travel questions

Can anyone shed any light on the OP's other question about lowering tyre pressure? I'd be interested to know what others think, I haven't done it before flying and have had no problems but I've only flown a few times since using a chair.

I've flown often with regular Primos and currently with high pressure Marathons - I've never lowered the pressure and never had a problem.

I do usually wind up letting a little air out of my Roho cushion, which I sit on during flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Alick View Post
    Can anyone shed any light on the OP's other question about lowering tyre pressure? I'd be interested to know what others think, I haven't done it before flying and have had no problems but I've only flown a few times since using a chair.
    My mother was a supervisor at the major US airline for over 5 years. She said she has never heard of having to reduce tire pressure in a wheelchair wheel. I'd imagine if it has to be done someone will advise you before you get on the plane.
    -Joe.

Yeah, I fly all the time with marathon plus tires inflated to over 100psi, never had any problems.

I once heard that Continental tires can withstand twice their recommended pressure in a lab. I assume other manufacturers are close to that. If a company made tires with a recommended pressure of 100psi, but they failed at 120psi it would be a danger to its customers.

You're fine.

Thanks for this all.

A but of topic, but I have a quick question about flying, do you need any cards or anything showing that you have metal in your back?(like for gettting through security) ive never flown before in my life.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T12/L2 Complete - Nov. 12, 2007

If you are a wheelchair user, you will not go through the walk through metal detector, nor (in the US) will you be checked with a hand held metal detector.

Instead you will be patted down. You will be asked if you have any sensitive areas - you don't need any documentation on this.

traveling w/manual w/c

Grommet,
    Are you going to Mobility Cup in Hamilton this year?

sorry to keep hi-jacking the thread.

Will they let you on the plane if your wearing a leg bag and condom cath?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T12/L2 Complete - Nov. 12, 2007