Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Check Out My Girl....Part II

Check Out My Girl....Part II

Hi Folks,

It's me again, since we're about 2.5+ yrs post, I thought now would be a good time to go ahead and move Sarah's thread over here. But if you'd like some background,here's http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=37552 the link to my original thread.

This is about the time of year that I start focusing on rehab for the summer months when Sarah is out of school and the competition for her time is not as hectic.

We've decided not to go back to PW this summer (we've been the last two summers for a total of 20 weeks so far). I think since we brought her personal trainer out there last yr for some training, we'll rely on her for the most part. During the school yr., Sarah trains at the local YMCA 2 days a week (1 hr sessions with her trainer), but we'll try to pick it up to 4 days per week with 2 hr. sessions over the summer (this was her schedule while at PW).

I'm debating whether or not to visit the Kennedy Krieger Institute for a week or two over the summer for a couple of reasons. First, being a medical establishment, they'll give Sarah a good look over (MRI, physical, etc.) just to make sure everything is doing well. Secondly, they specialize in pediatric SCI research, maybe they could show us something we don't already know. And thirdly, it's looks like my insurance will cover it. While I would love to go and check them out, I'm having a hard time getting Sarah on board. She hasn't liked doctors ever since one screwed her up, and she has a phobia with needles (she freaks at the sight of 'em) and, of course, doctors = needles. I've gotten KKI to send us some literature, I like what I see, but Sarah hasn't taken time yet to look it over yet. Has anybody here had any experience with KKI? I'd really like to here from you!

Sarah is driving now on a limited basis. She has her learners permit and we put hand controls in the family van. She drives very well, very cautious, but she's not driving very consistently, only once a week or so. It's just not high on her priorities. She's taking her Driver's Ed through a coorespondence course, but rarely has time to put into it, she's started back in Nov. and has completed a little over 25% of it.

She's as busy as ever. She's very much into her studies (10th grade), with an eye towards college. She's takes her grades very seriously and is top of her class. She's takes every AP course the school offers and has found love.......are you ready for this.....it's name is biology. She's fascinated with it and is 99% sure it will be her major. She's visited a fairly local private college, Randolph Macon in Ashland, VA (bout 45 min from home). Her honors chemistry class took a field trip there last fall to sit in on a lecture (though the professor had a last minute scheduling conflict), and so they got a grand tour of the facility, she loved it, very compact. But VERY expensive, so we'll see.

Tonight we'll be attending the school's basketball sports banquet. Sarah has been the asst. coach for the girls team ever since she got hurt (she used to play), Hannah (younger sis) played for her and Jesse (brother) played for the boys team. I'm glad the season's over, too much driving. Between school, basketball (2 games a week + practices throughout the 4 mo. season), youth (church), and therapy, Sarah's has very little down time. Hopefully things will slow down a bit now that BB season is over. Here's a pic of the girls team, Hannah (sis) is in the middle row, second from the left. http://salemchristianschool.com/sports.html

Physically, Sarah is doing all right. She walks with her walker to and from the car to the house, in between some classes at school, and into the YMCA (with crutches). She gets up on her feet at home (walker) for 25 min. spells about twice a day, though only when time permits. I wish she was up more. She's noticed a bit of a tummy bulge and has been focusing on what she eats and does lots of sit ups and such at therapy. I've told her it goes away when she stands up, so that should be a focal point as well. But she feels she can't accomplish anything while standing, so anyway. Her left leg looks good, very responsive, but her right leg still is lagging somewhat. I can see it mostly in the right ankle, while she doesn't have drop foot, it does dangle a little when she gets in the car. I've noticed that when she sits, her thighs tend to flatten out a bit, more than normal. But standing/walking more could probably fix that.

She still takes diptropan, but that's it. I wonder if that med would mask any return to the bladder/bowel?

Well, that's about as up-to-date as I can get everyone for now.

Later,
    Last edited by rickhemi; 03-09-2007 at 12:21 PM.
    Rick

GO FORWARD! 2 FIGHT! PARALYSIS!

Rick;

Thank you for the update. I am glad Sarah is well and being an ornery teenager. That is a sign of good health.

As to KKI. At last year's Rally they held an Open House that impressed most visitors. At this year's Rally, there will be another demonstration of their activities. This time, however, it will be in DC, not Baltimore so that Rally goers will not have to find transportation. Also, Dr. John MacDonald, from KKI, will be in attendance at the Symposium and giving a presentation.

We would love to see you. The Smiths will be there.

John

PS: Hi to Rosie and the kids.
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Hi Rick

Wow looks like Sarah is keeping you hoppin'...LOL When you said she found love...I was thinking oh no she has found a boy to wrap around her little finger. Biology is a much better love at her age anyway. I have really enjoyed reading Sarah's progress. She sounds like such a joy...and top of her class, WOW.

Thanks for sharing the picture. She is beautiful. I am so happy for you and your family. Good luck with summer planning....
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Rick~ I sent you a private message with info on my experience. I ditto John's suggestion.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Rally sounds great!

You're right, the rally would be the perfect place to check out KKI. I've checked the calender and that's the same week that Sarah will be taking her SAT's (the annual Stanford Acheivement Test's). These monitored test's are very hard to get moved around, something we'll need to start praying about.

The wife and I and Sarah had our first, in depth, talk about KKI last night. Sarah dug her heels in and it got a little ugly, yet both Rosie and I are united in this, and that's usually enough for Sarah to go along. God is good and we just need to give it to Him. I think the rally would be a great ice breaker with KKI. Pray, pray, pray.
    Rick

you got it.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Rick--glad to hear that you and your little girl are doing well. Your posts are very encouraging. Your family is in my prayers.
    Daniel

Rick, does Sarah use an AFO? I ask because Bruce has been in one for years now, and one of the things it does for him is keep his right toes from dragging--also stabilizes his knee.

I'm so glad to hear she's healthy and living her life with so much enthusiasm! Well done, all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by kate
    Rick, does Sarah use an AFO? I ask because Bruce has been in one for years now, and one of the things it does for him is keep his right toes from dragging--also stabilizes his knee.

I'm so glad to hear she's healthy and living her life with so much enthusiasm! Well done, all of you.
    Hi Kate!!

No, Sarah has never used any type of brace. At PW we were told that with Sarah's good return, a brace may get in the way of muscle strengthening, so we stayed away.

But now we're approaching the 3 yr mark (7/28), mayby it's time to see if a brace would help the right leg be more fluid and natural. Perhaps this is another reason to visit KKI.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rickhemi
    Hi Kate!!

No, Sarah has never used any type of brace. At PW we were told that with Sarah's good return, a brace may get in the way of muscle strengthening, so we stayed away.

But now we're approaching the 3 yr mark (7/28), mayby it's time to see if a brace would help the right leg be more fluid and natural. Perhaps this is another reason to visit KKI.
    Rick, you should check in with Bruce about this; I know the brace makes it possible for him to get around as well as he does. It helps keep his body aligned properly, which prevents all kinds of problems.