Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gas Powered Wheelchair Races Across US

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    In fact I believe you’re right, but lets say 10.000 d-bags in a soapbox derby race. Thing is that as it is now, now one knows that spinal cord injured peoples wants cures. Almost anything will do. At least this working thing of yours hasn’t produced much as far as I am aware of, so you might have to enlighten me on that one, grumpy old man.
    10,000 d-bags in soapbox derby racers? Well, that's a horse of a different colour. That would make a difference. But, sadly, it will never(and I literally mean never) happen. SCI is a dumb man's condition - dumb people have no drive and tend to rely upon magical thinking. Ergo, by doing a job 99.9% of the AB world can't do, and showing a high-functioning segment of the population that cripples can not only match, but exceed their work, I am certain that I'm doing more for the cause than I could do by riding across the country in this guy's sidecar. 2 d-bags does not a difference make.

Also, I may be grumpy, but I'm not old. Not yet, at least.

In fact I believe you’re right, but lets say 10.000 d-bags in a soapbox derby race. Thing is that as it is now, now one knows that spinal cord injured peoples wants cures. Almost anything will do. At least this working thing of yours hasn’t produced much as far as I am aware of, so you might have to enlighten me on that one, grumpy old man.
    Also, I feel like everyone on the planet knows we want to be cured. The question is, are we worth curing, considering the resources that would be involved? For the vast majority of us, the answer is a resounding "no!" That's the issue, if you ask me. If more of us were visible in big jobs/roles/offices, the general public would get behind a cure to a much greater degree. Charles Krauthammer, who has done very little "crusading" for a cure, has done far more for the cause than have all the d-bags in all the soapbox racers in the world, simply by being better at being a man than most folks could ever be.

Quote Originally Posted by rjg View Post
    Also, I feel like everyone on the planet knows we want to be cured. The question is, are we worth curing, considering the resources that would be involved? For the vast majority of us, the answer is a resounding "no!" That's the issue, if you ask me. If more of us were visible in big jobs/roles/offices, the general public would get behind a cure to a much greater degree. Charles Krauthammer, who has done very little "crusading" for a cure, has done far more for the cause than have all the d-bags in all the soapbox racers in the world, simply by being better at being a man than most folks could ever be.
    Anybody is worth curing, the lifelong costs isn’t so small and costs aside one a humanitarian base SCI should be cured as much as any other injury or illness, people just have to get the message passed. Also, I don’t think that just because of getting a SCI a person will totally change and get top jobs/roles/offices. Even among the able population just a fraction has such jobs, sure SCI might do it so that some has to push a little harder to prove things, but given the relatively few SCIed there is its not realistic what you suggest either.

Being grumpy, old or young is probably okay, but you seams to be a little neoconish too suggesting that demonstrators and advocates are d-bags and only those that are able to go to a job everyday are real humans, and not only that you are also dragging this right-wing nut Krauthammer caricature into the discussions claiming he has done far more for the cure cause than anybody combined? Are you insane? He has done zero! In fact he has slowed down and hurt the cause by his idiotic comments and writings against human embryonic stem cell research, that’s what he has done, this working hero of yours. Also in light of that, it would have been better if he had not been working.

Who the hell is the rjg troll, and why is anyone responding to "him"?

SCI's a "dumb man's condition"? Then why should anyone of us listen to a dumb SCI'd "man" who does nothing but try to belittle most other SCI'd people to try in vain to feel special himself? We shouldn't.

Leif, just ignore that d-bag.

Anybody is worth curing, the lifelong costs isn’t so small and costs aside one a humanitarian base SCI should be cured as much as any other injury or illness, people just have to get the message passed. Also, I don’t think that just because of getting a SCI a person will totally change and get top jobs/roles/offices. Even among the able population just a fraction has such jobs, sure SCI might do it so that some has to push a little harder to prove things, but given the relatively few SCIed there is its not realistic what you suggest either.

Being grumpy, old or young is probably okay, but you seams to be a little neoconish too suggesting that demonstrators and advocates are d-bags and only those that are able to go to a job everyday are real humans, and not only that you are also dragging this right-wing nut Krauthammer caricature into the discussions claiming he has done far more for the cure cause than anybody combined? Are you insane? He has done zero! In fact he has slowed down and hurt the cause by his idiotic comments and writings against human embryonic stem cell research, that’s what he has done, this working hero of yours. Also in light of that, it would have been better if he had not been working.
    Krauthammer goes into wide broad range of folks' homes and, whether he wants to or not, shows them that a few of us are worth saving. The impact he's made as a camera-ready quad with a wikipedia page vastly outweighs the impact he's made as one of a million anti-stem cell voices.

And the professional cripples aren't subhuman- they just aren't nearly as useful as a few of you seem to think. Some d-bag taking his soapbox derby racer from rehab hospital to rehab hospital, or some perpetual victim in a chair who "bravely" speaks at every stem cell shindig in the Americas, is preaching to the choir in the least useful way possible. You think Wise Young doesn't know sci is no fun? He needs to be reminded? We have more than enough professional cripples. We need a few more Krauthammer types who can go out and command the respect of the broader world, instead of begging for sympathy from those who are already on our side.

Quote Originally Posted by rjames View Post
    My friend Chet Dyerson from Southern California is making his way across the US from Southern California to Washington DC to spread awareness for the need to fund Spinal Cord Injury Research.
    Kudos to Chet!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Who the hell is the rjg troll, and why is anyone responding to "him"?

SCI's a "dumb man's condition"? Then why should anyone of us listen to a dumb SCI'd "man" who does nothing but try to belittle most other SCI'd people to try in vain to feel special himself? We shouldn't.

Leif, just ignore that d-bag.
    I'm not going to get into a back and forth namecalling showdown- based on that post, you'll just parrot whatever epithet I throw out there.

I've thrown the "dumb man's condition" line out a few times, and it rubs a few folks the wrong way, but no one has been able to do much to refute it. We're living at a time when physical ability is less important than it's ever been, yet the number of sci folks who do meaningful "big boy" jobs is miniscule. The government does all it can to get us into colleges, yet I defy you to find more than a handful of gimps on any campus. It's either a dumb man's condition or a lazy man's condition. I felt like I was being nice by choosing dumb, as that can't be helped in many cases.

Me = no Gimp I just do thing's my way
    Let's just get along

The more I think about it, the more I believe that "10,000 D-bags in Soapbox Derby Racers" has the potential to be our ticket to a cure. We all start out at the top of the biggest hill in a given town, race to the bottom, and then kinda just stay there, as it's not like we can get back up the hill all that easily. Then we're blocking traffic and the news cameras show up. That's awareness. After that, we hold other hilly towns hostage with threats of ruining their commutes - unless they pledge xxxx to cure research. I'll gladly be the head D-bag, but only if it is called "10,000 D-bags in Soapbox Derby Racers."

HMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm count me out at the bottom of that Biggest hill
    I'll go with the Gas powered wheelchair He is more fun BTW I love Gas powered machines so to each his own More power to him .