Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gas Powered Wheelchair Races Across US

Gas Powered Wheelchair Races Across US

My friend Chet Dyerson from Southern California is making his way across the US from Southern California to Washington DC to spread awareness for the need to fund Spinal Cord Injury Research.

Chet is driving a gas powered chair he designed and built.

You can check out his facebook page at "Wheeling to Cure SCI"
    or http://www.gofundme.com/spinal-cord-research

Chet's getting some great press for the SCI cause in Idaho, Please go to his facebook page "Wheeling to Cure SCI" and give him a "Like" to show your support.

Thanks,
    Rick

thank you Chet
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Maybe I'm dim, but I fail to see how he's "spreading awareness for the need to fund Spinal Cord Injury Research." "Hey, look at that middle-aged guy hauling ass in a gas-powered go-kart/chair on a day when the rest of us are working...Boy, I'd sure like to cure him...." That's not how it works. Get an education and a real job...then show up to work every day like a normal adult, regardless of your struggles - that seems a much more likely way to bring about a cure.

Maybe I'm dim, but I fail to see how he's "spreading awareness for the need to fund Spinal Cord Injury Research." "Hey, look at that middle-aged guy hauling ass in a gas-powered go-kart/chair on a day when the rest of us are working...Boy, I'd sure like to cure him...." That's not how it works. Get an education and a real job...then show up to work every day like a normal adult, regardless of your struggles - that seems a much more likely way to bring about a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by rjg View Post
    Perhaps anybody in a peaceful demonstration or a strike for that matter should go back to work? Or maybe it is just the length of this demonstration that is the problem? Maybe he have stored a few weeks for this trip? And hey! Maybe the other incognito SCI workers also could set a side some spare time and join him on his route across the continent? I would say that would have had an bigger awareness impact than all just sitting at work someplace.

Are you sure? Please explain better if you can.

You may want to read this first:

http://cirmresearch.blogspot.com/201...ocates-to.html
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Perhaps anybody in a peaceful demonstration or a strike for that matter should go back to work? Or maybe it is just the length of this demonstration that is the problem? Maybe he have stored a few weeks for this trip? And hey! Maybe the other incognito SCI workers also could set a side some spare time and join him on his route across the continent? I would say that would have had an bigger awareness impact than all just sitting at work someplace.
    So a gimp guy riding a go-kart is a peaceful demonstrator? He's the new Thoreau, Gandhi, or MLK? Absolutely. I can see how some d-bag in a soapbox derby racer is doing more for "the cause" than is a fellow like myself, who shows up every day to a job that 99.9% of the world(disabled or not) is uqualified/unable to do. And what's better than one d-bag in a soapbox derby racer? 100 d-bags in soapbox derby racers, of course. That's the ticket to Curetown.

I know you're used to bullying the dimwits on this site who think you're smart. I'm not one of those people.

Patient Advocate= Professional Cripple

I'd rather succeed as a man than as a cripple. It seems a bit more challenging, as the pool of contenders is exponentially larger.

In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

So a gimp guy riding a go-kart is a peaceful demonstrator? He's the new Thoreau, Gandhi, or MLK? Absolutely. I can see how some d-bag in a soapbox derby racer is doing more for "the cause" than is a fellow like myself, who shows up every day to a job that 99.9% of the world(disabled or not) is uqualified/unable to do. And what's better than one d-bag in a soapbox derby racer? 100 d-bags in soapbox derby racers, of course. That's the ticket to Curetown.

I know you're used to bullying the dimwits on this site who think you're smart. I'm not one of those people.
    In fact I believe you’re right, but lets say 10.000 d-bags in a soapbox derby race. Thing is that as it is now, now one knows that spinal cord injured peoples wants cures. Almost anything will do. At least this working thing of yours hasn’t produced much as far as I am aware of, so you might have to enlighten me on that one, grumpy old man.