Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type of tire on FRH-1 handcycle

Type of tire on FRH-1 handcycle

I've been using Scwalbe Ultremos and Conti 5000 on my Freedom Ryder.

They are both 23-571(650C).I'd like to change to a more durable tire but am concerned about them fitting the fork clearance. There seems to be only a 1/4" clearance between the top of the tire and the brake holder bracket.
    Is anyone using a different tire.

I'm surprized top End and F/R haven't come out with a decent clearance on their bikes to accomadate a slightly higher profile tire rather than just the fragile racing tire.

I too would like something a bit more robust. I enjoy going through fields and there's always the inevitible shale/gravel/mud patch on most trails. Even on small craters/larger cracks I cringe knowing how lightweight the stock Mavic's with GT-5000 tires are. Have you asked FreedomRyder? You might be onto something for future models to have this option. Possibly even a front-frame factory exchange for those of us with the current edition.

Would there be anyway to get a slightly smaller diameter rim for the front to incorporate a beefier tire? I imagine this is very unlikely, or at the very least quite pricey.

Which do you prefer, Ultremos or Contis? Do you think either one handles the rear wheel camber better than the other?

Another thought I just had was to do away with the park brake and grind out some clearance on the bracket for a larger tire? Not very safe to do away with the redundacy of it in case of a disc brake failure, though... probably a bad idea to start hacking on a beautiful machine anyways.
    Last edited by tooley; 06-14-2011 at 12:11 AM.

I used to file the fork on my Pro's to get a better diameter tire. I also used a smaller diameter wheel. By doing that, I had to get longer, wider brakes.

I for one have been telling F/R, since 1982, and Chris Peterson about fork clearance. I doubt they ar going to change it. Top End does have a wider fork to handle mtb tires but the quality of brakes they put are really faunky at best.

I've looked on the Scwalbe site just a little tonight and think I'll call them tomorrow to see what's up.

I like the Ultremos much more than the 5000's. For me, the side walls seem to take be more sturdy. But not enough to ride thru fields or down a gravel road with out a flat.

Yesterday, I was 6 miles away from the house and had a flat on my new front wheel. Had to ride it home. there wasn't too much damage that a bit of sandpaper didn't take care of. the wheel is straight but sure ruined the tire.

On another note, I'm getting closer to getting the Q rings for the bike. Mike lofgren has found a spider that would fit; 110/74. I'm trying to find a better price on the 46,36,27 chainrings. Rotor quoted me 365.00 for the three. I'm sure I can get them a for a little less.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I've looked on the Scwalbe site just a little tonight and think I'll call them tomorrow to see what's up.

There are not much options of tires for your wheel size, that`s why i told to do mine with a 559 wheel, for have a tone where to choice.
    And if someday i will go for a racer bike i will wear 700C.
    Have a look at this book you can see all schwalbe tires and sizes.

switch to the ultremo zx. much stronger sidewals than r.1 and only run 130 in them.,

or put a marathon plus 26x1 on. for more beef

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I used to file the fork on my Pro's to get a better diameter tire. I also used a smaller diameter wheel. By doing that, I had to get longer, wider brakes.

I for one have been telling F/R, since 1982, and Chris Peterson about fork clearance. I doubt they ar going to change it. Top End does have a wider fork to handle mtb tires but the quality of brakes they put are really faunky at best.

I like the Ultremos much more than the 5000's. For me, the side walls seem to take be more sturdy. But not enough to ride thru fields or down a gravel road with out a flat.

Yesterday, I was 6 miles away from the house and had a flat on my new front wheel. Had to ride it home. there wasn't too much damage that a bit of sandpaper didn't take care of. the wheel is straight but sure ruined the tire.

On another note, I'm getting closer to getting the Q rings for the bike. Mike lofgren has found a spider that would fit; 110/74. I'm trying to find a better price on the 46,36,27 chainrings. Rotor quoted me 365.00 for the three. I'm sure I can get them a for a little less.
    Last edited by fuentejps; 06-14-2011 at 08:22 AM.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks guys, will look them up. Looks like the ZX is the same profile.

John, did you get your Q rings put on yet?

Patrick, tooley, look into tires that are designed for Cyclocross bikes. I'm not sure if you'll run into size issues, but the type may be more what you're looking for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclo-cross

http://www.everybicycletire.com/Shop...ewall-571.aspx

these look intriquing. Wire bead good, yes? Seems feasible they would hold top pressure rating without fear of bead blow-out over rough terrain.

manufacturer link - http://www.conti-online.com/generato...orskin_en.html

shows they come in a 28-559 as well. They'll look nice on my white-spoked SpinergyLX's. Looks like I'm blowing more money on rubber. Like the old saying goes, "tits or tires.."
    Last edited by tooley; 06-14-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Pat ironically the Schawable North America Warehouse is just down the road from you a bit, it's in Ferndale.

I thopught it was Canuck. I ordered some tires from Advanced Mobility and was hoping to pick them up there. They wouldn't do it. Had to ship them to Vancouver then back down here.

Good idea though, I'll stop by and speak with them. THanks for the idea.