Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Volunteers for Clinical Trials Network

Good news Wise.

Will this hospital in Seoul be doing all kind of stem cell treatments on SCI patients with combination of therapies?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post

On the other hand, a new development is likely to change the world of medicine as we know it. A former student of mine is organizing a billion-dollar hospital in Inchon, just across the street from the International Airport in Seoul, South Korea. This hospital, to be run by Yonsei University, is certified by the top medical certification bodies in the United States. This new hospital has already signed deals with several major U.S. and international insurance companies to cover procedures done in the hospital. Within a year, American patients will be stepping on airplanes to fly to Inchon to get their elective procedures done at half the cost of the same procedure in the United States. This hospital has been talking to me about doing clinical trials on spinal cord injury.

Wise.
    I do believe that it is more efficent to do chronic SCI clinical trials in one big center (at least phase I/II) in a place with a reasonable "FDA" and with reasonable costs.
    Is that what you are thinking to do?

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

On the other hand, a new development is likely to change the world of medicine as we know it. A former student of mine is organizing a billion-dollar hospital in Inchon, just across the street from the International Airport in Seoul, South Korea. This hospital, to be run by Yonsei University, is certified by the top medical certification bodies in the United States. This new hospital has already signed deals with several major U.S. and international insurance companies to cover procedures done in the hospital. Within a year, American patients will be stepping on airplanes to fly to Inchon to get their elective procedures done at half the cost of the same procedure in the United States. This hospital has been talking to me about doing clinical trials on spinal cord injury.

Wise.
    That's good to hear. I'm only a hop, skip and a jump from Inchon. Maybe something great will happen and I will be able to truly hop, skip, and jump.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    I do believe that it is more efficent to do chronic SCI clinical trials in one big center (at least phase I/II) in a place with a reasonable "FDA" and with reasonable costs.
    Is that what you are thinking to do?

Paolo
    Paolo,

Multicenter trials are generally more credible to doctors. Multicenter trials introduce a lot of variables but the world is multicentered. So, the concept that one trial center can do all the work is probably not a good one. Likewise, doing it in China alone does not may not be credible either. So, that is why I have been globe-trotting to establish several respected networks that can work to gather to gather data.

Wise.

Why China is not creditable?

Quote Originally Posted by KIM View Post
    Why China is not creditable?
    This is my question, too. Not credible to whom? If something big comes out of China, that's enough credibility for me.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

Wise.
    I hope they will do many clinical trials for SCI ASAP - and that they will accept candidates from any country - and, if money it is a problem, that they will allow patiants to contribute to the cost of the trial.
    I know that this is unethical, but it is more unhetical not to do clinical trials for ethical issues I think.

People just want to walk out of w/c and don't give a damn about ethics.

Paolo
    Last edited by paolocipolla; 07-03-2011 at 05:21 PM.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

it is more unhetical not to do clinical trials for ethical issues I think.
    BAM.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Surely the overused term (so fashionable in computer system design and deploymnet) can be applied here. A centre has to be large enough to have the staff and resources to provide adequate service, but in too much centralisation, we are risking the "all-the-eggs-in-one-basket syndrome.

Whatever happens ultimately must be exportable - the knowledge and techniques developed by Christian Barnard were disseminated around the world.

Credibility is something else.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

I hope they will do many clinical trials for SCI ASAP - and that they will accept candidates from any country - and, if money it is a problem, that they will allow patiants to contribute to the cost of the trial.
    I know that this is unethical, but it is more unhetical not to do clinical trials for ethical issues I think.

People just want to walk out of w/c and don't give a damn about ethics.

Paolo
    There's a lot in what you mean here Paolo. Ethics are important, however, as they can protect the patient apart from any wider issues. (Many argue, I believe with much good reason, that eugenic engineering is wrong).

Sooner or later the bullet has to be bitten, though, and we, the disabled have to get into treatments, otherwise we will be like the plane that stays in the wind tunnel without actually flying.

I would paraphrase what you said, and say that if I got out of the wheel chair and walked, courtesy of an "unscientific" procedure I would certainly not give a damn about the details. Much science has resulted from empiricism, i.e. suck it and see.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.