Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baclofen Pump Question

Thanks hipcrip,that is very encouraging!! Can't hardly imagine life without all this stiff tone--MARVELOUS "))

Hi thehipcrip / Patty
    I sometimes wonder if I am possibly too nervous because I dont like surgery

Here is my stupid idea but maybe it is possible I wish there was a I'v version I could be on before actually going into more surgery ? Does that make sense ?

Patty Is this intravenous ? I am no scolar in needlees etc.... Scared of them ...uuuukkky

I like this tread it may help me with my chronic pain .
    Thank you both
    Sincerely ;
    GL

I started a thread a few years ago on the baclofen pump FAQs. There's all sorts of information there. I'm on my third pump. After I had my first one replaced, the stitches opened up on my back and I got an infection that traveled along the pump tubing to the pump. I had to have the pump removed for a month and during the whole month I had to stay in bed because my spasms were so bad. The pump I have now is VERY programmable and the benefits far outweighed the risks. At one point, I did have narcotics in there also, Dilaudid, but they weren't effective for very long and I had to continuously get them turned up. I do notice when I turned down the pump that my pain does get worse but I also have bibucaine in it to help with my pain. I don't know what I'd be doing if they didn't come up with this thing. My whole body spasms without it knocking me out of my chair. Good luck on whatever you decide.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Hi Rybread i've admired your inspiration / knowledge regarding these thing's ,
    It is hipcrip / others like you who shed light for ppl like me .
    Soon I will be speaking to my Dr's regarding possibly going for it ... In the mean time you all just call me Scardy Cat ; GL lol hugs to ya all

Patty n me want to have some nice Tea n Brunch or whatever hipcrip help me out maybe we all can party @ Rybreads for a day he is not too far from me .

Someday I hope to meeet every one of you because life is so short yet my hair is pretty long lol

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I started a thread a few years ago on the baclofen pump FAQs. There's all sorts of information there. I'm on my third pump. After I had my first one replaced, the stitches opened up on my back and I got an infection that traveled along the pump tubing to the pump. I had to have the pump removed for a month and during the whole month I had to stay in bed because my spasms were so bad. The pump I have now is VERY programmable and the benefits far outweighed the risks. At one point, I did have narcotics in there also, Dilaudid, but they weren't effective for very long and I had to continuously get them turned up. I do notice when I turned down the pump that my pain does get worse but I also have bibucaine in it to help with my pain. I don't know what I'd be doing if they didn't come up with this thing. My whole body spasms without it knocking me out of my chair. Good luck on whatever you decide.
    Thanks a million..you've given me some really good info, Both here, and in your past post that I've researched in the archives.
    I wish you only better things to come!!

Quote Originally Posted by GL View Post
    Hi Rybread i've admired your inspiration / knowledge regarding these thing's ,
    It is hipcrip / others like you who shed light for ppl like me .
    Soon I will be speaking to my Dr's regarding possibly going for it ... In the mean time you all just call me Scardy Cat ; GL lol hugs to ya all

Patty n me want to have some nice Tea n Brunch or whatever hipcrip help me out maybe we all can party @ Rybreads for a day he is not too far from me .

Someday I hope to meeet every one of you because life is so short yet my hair is pretty long lol
    Judy--as soon as I get some of my medical necessities taken care of, I'm going to plan a nice couple day plan trip just to meet you. In the past, I attended several nursing conferences through out TX and liked it there very much during early spring and late fall. Summer was a bit too hot!! LOL..sorry!!

Quote Originally Posted by Patty41 View Post
    For the users of the baclofen pump--if you have it implanted at the level injury are you needing still to take a drug, such as gabapentin, for the sting and burning neuropathic pain? My PM doc is wanting me to try the pump and am just wondering what maybe to expect. Any input is greatly appreciated!!

I've had my pump since Dec '10. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's currently not a positive relationship because I am having tons of issues now. It worked great at first though! But now my spasms are back, I've been "twitching" again, and my back pain is the worst its ever been...to the point where I can't sleep at night.

My catheter tip is at around T2; my injury is C5/6. When it works, it works great for my arms and legs. It's nice not having to take all those damn pills. Since I've had the pump, I've taken myself off of all of my other oral meds, including the gabapentin. I still have the same amount of nerve pain that I did when I was taking the gaba, but my head is a LOT clearer now that I'm off of it. The only thing I take orally now is my Enablex.

Thanks Maggie--that's some excellent input and gives me snap shot to what may/could be expected.

Thumbs up

On my 2nd pump, its a life saver for me. Without it I had horrible spasms constantly, the high dose of baclofin directly into my spine helps me to be much more independent than otherwise., and without the side effect of making me sleepy [like oral baclofin]. I have had no problems since I had the first one put in [2003]. Don't be nervous.

hey everyone,
    i had the pump implanted 2 years ago, 200mcg/day (usually they start with low dosage)now im doubling the dosage cause i have small stomach spasms and legs. i have the archimed pump(johnson&johnson)that runs on gas and dont have to change it every 5-6 years.as for the pain (neuoropathic pain)baclofen does nothing.
    i also put on a duragesic patch 25mcg/72hours (also low dosage) it barely helps,im always in pain that i smoke a joint of hashish at night so i can sleep a bit,although its illegal and not even my doctor knows.
    i have a question to RDF,do u know if morphine and bacllofen can be mixed inthe same pump (archimed pump).cause i fell like my legs r on fire and have goose bumps most of the day.