Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baclofen Pump Question

Baclofen Pump Question

For the users of the baclofen pump--if you have it implanted at the level injury are you needing still to take a drug, such as gabapentin, for the sting and burning neuropathic pain? My PM doc is wanting me to try the pump and am just wondering what maybe to expect. Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Baclofen isn't a pain killer (that I know of), so you'd need to either take oral pain meds, or have pain meds added to the pump along with the baclofen.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Hii Patty
    I take baclofen orally it depends on the person
    I could have had the pump surgery long ago but imop I just did not want anymore surgery . Baclofen for me is a daily steady medicine I've used for years I am not 100% sure what it does as I am always in chronic pain , All I know is that ever since my spinal neck surgery I have been on Baclofen .
    I think it is a commonly prescribed medicine by most neurologists .

Patty when I said it depends on the patient it is because everyone has their own levels of reasoning . Some like the pump others had complications with it so to me I think it is a 50/ 50 % choice .

Daily I take Lyrica or gabapentin to help with my Neuropathic pain \
    ( I like to think of it as step 2 ) when my pain intensity elevates .
    I do notice the effects of lyrica and gabapentin
    These 2 medications I could write more information on about their effects

Everyone has their own way's of dealing with pain .
    I dont want a Baclofen pump inside my body . Rather take it orally .
    Oddly I dont know the diferences with baclofen I just take it every day . I notice nothing .

I hope you feel better
    Sincerely ;
    GL

Quote Originally Posted by GL View Post
    Hii Patty
    I take baclofen orally it depends on the person
    I could have had the pump surgery long ago but imop I just did not want anymore surgery . Baclofen for me is a daily steady medicine I've used for years I am not 100% sure what it does as I am always in chronic pain , All I know is that ever since my spinal neck surgery I have been on Baclofen .
    I think it is a commonly prescribed medicine by most neurologists .

Patty when I said it depends on the patient it is because everyone has their own levels of reasoning . Some like the pump others had complications with it so to me I think it is a 50/ 50 % choice .

Daily I take Lyrica or gabapentin to help with my Neuropathic pain \
    ( I like to think of it as step 2 ) when my pain intensity elevates .
    I do notice the effects of lyrica and gabapentin
    These 2 medications I could write more information on about their effects

Everyone has their own way's of dealing with pain .
    I dont want a Baclofen pump inside my body . Rather take it orally .
    Oddly I dont know the diferences with baclofen I just take it every day . I notice nothing .

I hope you feel better
    Sincerely ;
    GL
    Hey Lady Bug--thanks so much for your reply. I'm sorry your meds are not nearly as effective as you need them to be!! Just daily hoping for an answer to prayer that science can bring along an advance. If not a cure, at least a medication or treatment that can solve the pain. Because baclofen is primarily excreted by the kidneys, my team is looking at the pump in order to lessen the strain on my kidneys because of my already mild to moderate CKD.
    I've found my body has quickly adjusted to any baclofen dose increases. Have you found that to be true, as well? It also is having a tendency to elevate my blood sugar a bit. You feel better, too!! Going to get to TX one of these days and surprise you!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Baclofen isn't a pain killer (that I know of), so you'd need to either take oral pain meds, or have pain meds added to the pump along with the baclofen.
    Thx RDF

i had a baclofen-pump implanted in jan 2011. not having spasms after 29 of years back-arching and finger-fluttering spasms was surreal! about two weeks post i noticed a welt coming from the top of the pump, and around my back. surgeon met me at the e.r. four or five of his associates felt me up. verdict: the catheter migrated. surgeon said 3% fail, and i was his first failure. well he wanted to remove the pump electively instead of in an emergency situation; doc said could lead to bacterial-meningitis. so we removed the pump. about two weeks later, at midnight i went into intense a.d. and had to go to greenwich er by ambulance. my blood-pressure went up to 247/160; i normally run 90/60. they gave me liquid-valium every time my bp and heart-rate spiked about every 20minutes. they x-rayed my belly and found fluid which turned out to be pseudomonas. they put me on iv morphine, and antibiotics. the next four days were a blur. they put a drain in to get liquid out.

i loved the pump because doc can tweak it so you only get rid of the spasms you don't want--for instance, i lost too much muscle-tone to open doors or drive--so he calibrated it to a lower dose. the surgeon wants to try again in 3 months; i said no way.

don't let my nightmare dissuade you. only 3% failure.

Quote Originally Posted by robeec View Post
    i had a baclofen-pump implanted in jan 2011. not having spasms after 29 of years back-arching and finger-fluttering spasms was surreal! about two weeks post i noticed a welt coming from the top of the pump, and around my back. surgeon met me at the e.r. four or five of his associates felt me up. verdict: the catheter migrated. surgeon said 3% fail, and i was his first failure. well he wanted to remove the pump electively instead of in an emergency situation; doc said could lead to bacterial-meningitis. so we removed the pump. about two weeks later, at midnight i went into intense a.d. and had to go to greenwich er by ambulance. my blood-pressure went up to 247/160; i normally run 90/60. they gave me liquid-valium every time my bp and heart-rate spiked about every 20minutes. they x-rayed my belly and found fluid which turned out to be pseudomonas. they put me on iv morphine, and antibiotics. the next four days were a blur. they put a drain in to get liquid out.

i loved the pump because doc can tweak it so you only get rid of the spasms you don't want--for instance, i lost too much muscle-tone to open doors or drive--so he calibrated it to a lower dose. the surgeon wants to try again in 3 months; i said no way.

don't let my nightmare dissuade you. only 3% failure.
    Ohh wow--that is a horrible ordeal and one I'm truly sorry you had to endure. Certainly can't blame you for not wanting to try again!! Although it was a tragic outcome, I still appreciate your sharing. It's important to have all the information as a collective whole to make an informed decision. Thanks again and all the best to you.

i don't wanna scare you away either, patty. the pump works great but i had similar results as robeec. i felt GREAT right after my pump was put in but after a few weeks i noticed a welt where the catheter went in my back. i went septic, nearly took me out. had 4 or 5 months iv vancomycin. it was horrible but it is rare to have such complications, i hear. they offered me another one. i was like.....hell to the no!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64 View Post
    i don't wanna scare you away either, patty. the pump works great but i had similar results as robeec. i felt GREAT right after my pump was put in but after a few weeks i noticed a welt where the catheter went in my back. i went septic, nearly took me out. had 4 or 5 months iv vancomycin. it was horrible but it is rare to have such complications, i hear. they offered me another one. i was like.....hell to the no!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks Rollin for your input. Also to you I say, so sorry for what you had happen. Like a SCI within it's self is not bad enough, huh? Some real food for thought, making it clear just how serious of decision it truly is.

I hate surgery. I've had some very complicated operations in my life, and I've suffered through some serious, even life-threatening complications as a result. So even though I had 100 percent relief from both spasms and very tight tone during the intrathecal baclofen trial, I agonized over the decision to get the pump because it meant committing to having surgery every 5-7 years.

It took me more than a year to decide to get my pump, but I did. And you know what? The benefits of having it greatly outweigh the costs
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar