Thread: modifying an ATV for a tour of Bolivia

Question modifying an ATV for a tour of Bolivia

hi there, i am planning to re-join my old motorbike touring pals for a little action in Bolivia this winter.
    i am a T6 complete, and am wondering how i should modify a full-auto ATV to work for me:
    - seat?
    - do i need a seat belt?
    - do i need velcro on my feet?
    - does the atv need to be modified mechanically (breaks?)

any tips, sites, addresses or someone who is willing to share experiences?

thanks a mill.

chris

Have you bought your ATV yet? Some, (like Yamaha Grizzly, Polaris) have 4 wheel braking from the handlebars. Your balance/trunk control will determine if you need a seat belt, but not thinking it will do much to keep you up. The handlebars should keep you up and allow normal control.

i would sit on a Airhawk cushion, or even a small Roho, 4 chamber contour, for the bouncing and shearing. My experience at hanging with the old motor biking friends was fun at first, but not for too long. I hope you get the most out of it! It became frustrating for me, with limits, and a downer for them, (subtle but real) to have the guy who got gimped on a bike around. It really affected the mood. It was the worst visiting the local bike shop haunt where all the gear heads hang out. Hard to sell a bike with me sitting in the background lookin' all

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I'd want to make sure anything securing me wasn't too 'secure'. Light or regular duty velcro is what I'd try first. My thinking is that it would be nice to be able to 'break away' from the thing if it were to tip over. You're not a para trying to become a quad. (Assumption, of course.)

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

When I went hunting in South Dakota on an atv, we attached a backrest to the seat, then we attached a seatbelt to the backrest. Of course, like DaleB said, I wasn't going to be doing any riding that would potentially cause a rollover. I needed the belt to hold me up when I was holding the shotgun. I sat on my 4" Roho also, no meat on my butt and wanted protection from bumpy riding.

I was on a Honda with electric shift and brakes on handlebars, no mods needed. The footwells were deep enough that I did not need to velcro my feet down, they never came out.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Maybe one of the side by side atv's would be easier on you? Full seat with belt and I think you can use regular car hand controls. Some of them look sporty enough.
    c3/c4, injured 2007

Is this on or off road?
    A back rest is the best thing you can do. I use a belt around my knees and some plastic pieces about 4 inches high, riveted to the sides of the foot plates to keep my feet on them. Don't attach yourself you the ATV.

thanks guys

thanks a lot for the feedback.
    i will look at all this.
    i have not yet baught the quad, and to be honest, was hoping to rent it locally in bolivia (yeah yeah, i hear what you say... "dream on..."...).
    will take with me the roho pillow and have lots of good quality velcro.
    the only thing is the seat modification, does anyone have any pictures or sites that sell these?
    cheers,

ck

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    i would sit on a Airhawk cushion, or even a small Roho, 4 chamber contour, for the bouncing and shearing. My experience at hanging with the old motor biking friends was fun at first, but not for too long. I hope you get the most out of it! It became frustrating for me, with limits, and a downer for them, (subtle but real) to have the guy who got gimped on a bike around. It really affected the mood. It was the worst visiting the local bike shop haunt where all the gear heads hang out. Hard to sell a bike with me sitting in the background lookin' all
    definite food for thought for my destined return to the trails.

Also, I never realized how it feels to salesmen and prospective customers when I go in a bike shop. Thinking back to the last time I was at one in my chair I do recall the place cleared out rather quickly with me rolling around with a Leatt neck brace on my lap fighting back tears, explaining to the accessory guys "if only". Those who did stay changed their gaze from race machines to side-by-sides.