Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my farvourite food

my farvourite food

here it is

No 1
    local rabbit maltese name Fenek
    Remember those cute cuddly rabbits
    In Malta our favourite dish is rabbit fried in wine and sauced over (mum's secret)
    Many breed them at home for that special family occasion. Some restaurants serve rabbit only it's such a popular dish.

No 2

Fried octopus Maltese name Qarnit
    Such an easy animal to catch, during my snorkling days i used to catch them often, high in cholesterol great taste.

No3
    Snails, Maltese name bebbux

after a good rain many people would be seen roaming the countryside or what's left of it picking up snails. Mainly served in local bars as

No 4
    Tripe Maltese name kirxa
    Yes it's the guts of a pig, to clean it out my god it stinks
    Most be boiled for over an hour.

Please come to Malta and taste it they all say yuk at first then order another plate.

I could go with choice number 1, but I think I will leave the other "delicacies to Andrew Zimmern, host of the cable television show on The Travel Channel, entitled Bizarre Food. (No offense). Mr. Zimmern has documented his travels in just about any country you can imagine by sampling foods that are just too edgy for my palate.
    I live near the Napa/Sonoma wine country in California and there are a number of top chefs who serve rabbit ragu with pasta, roasted rabbit loin, and grilled rabbit with vegetables. I have had a number of these preparations and they are wonderful.

Bon Appetite
    GJ

I love fried octopus but then I have been living in Greece and I love snails with galic. But I have never been to Malta so I have never tried the Maltese specialities

And I have tasted the easter soup in Greece, it is full of not nice things and I didn't like it. But I eat liver, lungs and heart from animals.

But you could never make me eat a rabbit. My ex is eating that and my smallest son when he is there, but when I think of the rabbits I have had like pets on my balcony, I feel like eating my cats
    TH 12, 43 years post

Ooooooh peterf, can't say I'd try any of those things.
    How about some nice shrimp in pasta?

The squid, for sure. How is it prepared?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I could go with choice number 1, but I think I will leave the other "delicacies to Andrew Zimmern, host of the cable television show on The Travel Channel, entitled Bizarre Food. (No offense). Mr. Zimmern has documented his travels in just about any country you can imagine by sampling foods that are just too edgy for my palate.
    I live near the Napa/Sonoma wine country in California and there are a number of top chefs who serve rabbit ragu with pasta, roasted rabbit loin, and grilled rabbit with vegetables. I have had a number of these preparations and they are wonderful.

Bon Appetite
    GJ
    Bon appetite and you mention Andrew Zimmern well he is a glutton pnce saw him eat pig toes nails and all. Again the extreme survival man once eat a dead camel left rotting and water full of animal fesis. It's a shame because i belive these things are staged for the camera. A guy in malta eat a beetle and spent 4 weeks in a coma. it least what i have mentioned is cooked safe

Woman from europe
    with your blond looks your probable eat for free in Malta

Very interesting and I'd love to try it all!!!
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

Peter, you are not talking about squid, you are talking real octopus? I like it grilled, that is delicious especially with ouzo besides.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    Peter, you are not talking about squid, you are talking real octopus? I like it grilled, that is delicious especially with ouzo besides.
    Yes it is octopus
    called qarnit in maltese
    we do eat squid alot it's called clamari in maltese use to hunt for it at night should post you a few pics if i can find them

Squid is attracted to shrimp bait and bright white light
    unfortunatly both species are being over fished