Thread: Theraband advice and other equipment

Blog Entries

Theraband advice and other equipment

I'm wondering if those of you who are theraband adherents can't tell me how you get them to be effective for you. I always have railed against what I see as the travesty of the PT industry pretending they are anywhere nearly as effective as weights, and I finally have figured out why: there is no consistency of resistance. You can’t get a good range of motion with effective resistance. Pulling it is easier when you're closer to where it is tied, and harder when you are far away. So I just can't seem to work my muscles correctly. With the regular machine, you're pushing 5 or 10 pounds throughout the entire range, for example.

Are there any strategies anyone would share to make therands work better for me?

Alternatively, are there any other equipment options? I found this –http://www.sportaid.com/the-track-wheelchair-optimized-strength-conditioning.html – which seems okay, and I probably will go with that unless anyone has any other ideas. Most others things I found shaped like that just hold therabands. If that interests you, let me know and I'll post links.

Also, I have a harder time with therabands and the pulley systems because my range of motion is so bad and my coordination not great, so I get distracted just trying to perform the motions, which keeps me from getting good focused muscle work. That's why I really like the machines with fixed weights – you can’t go the wrong way, and they stretch you when they push you back.

So I'm rambling.
    • Does anyone know of anything closer to a fixed weight system that I could do at home in my chair?
    • Does anyone have suggestions for a better pulley-type system?
    • Does anyone have any tips for me on using the therabands better?

I don't have room for much more than something like what I found that would fasten to a wall.

I have been here before so please don't be annoyed with me; I'm asking only for any ideas additional to those I got here: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?p=1331611#post1331611

I still am looking for one of those spandex–free places where brawny guys just will put me on machines. But no luck yet

68 year old T4 para 45 years in chair. Wife is polio person 37 years in chair.

I suggest you look at a 4 foot Body Bar Flex 20
    http://www.bodybar.com/Body-Bar-Store/Body-Bar-Flex

I think the advantages over bands are zero setup time, almost zero time to change exercises, it is easy to experiment and find what works for you. If something does not seem right, you can quickly move on. Finally it does not break. It was apparently developed by a composites engineer after a shoulder injury.

My wife and I are specifically targeting our shoulders. This has eliminated her pain, and significantly reduced mine.

They also have a Flex 40 (heavier resistance) and they are coming out with a Flex 10 (lighter). I got mine from the cheapest site I could find on the web. The 20 is fine for my younger stronger wife, but is a bit much for me. I emailed the president of the company and asked about the possibility of a 10. He said they had one in development and he would be happy to ship me a sample. I was amazed.

I have no financial interest in this. Just excited because it is working for us.