Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SCI Nurse - low fever, nothing else

I get what I would call high fever when it is hot and just sitting around sweating. I do sweat more than I would like. I have taken my temp and it has been as high as 99 my normal temp is 97.9. It scares me. I don't have an infection it is just from being overheated I think. Would my body temp go that high from sweating?? I do use A/C when at home but I still feel overheated.

Drinking plenty, no increase in spasticity noted.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

You are probably picking up the environmental temperature. While you may not feel great with a fever of 99, it certainly is not a high temp. A high temp is usually Greater than 101. Staying in a cool place is the best idea. Drinking plenty of fluids helps and if you need to, lie down for a little bit.
    Ckf

Spray bottle is great also.
    c3/c4, injured 2007

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You are probably picking up the environmental temperature. While you may not feel great with a fever of 99, it certainly is not a high temp. A high temp is usually Greater than 101. Staying in a cool place is the best idea. Drinking plenty of fluids helps and if you need to, lie down for a little bit.
    Ckf
    I disagree with this from experience with Chad (C4/5 ASIA A, 23 years). His normal body temp is 96-ish, and when he has a temp of 99, it means he is very sick. When he hits 100, I cart him off to the hospital. Thankfully, the doctors we've run into (for the most part) take into account his low body temp due to SCI and treat a 99 fever as serious.

I agree with Ami/zillazangel.

It's horribly frustrating when medical professionals, like the triage nurses at my local ER, look only at the number and dismiss a fever that's three degrees above our norm as an inconsequential low-grade fever just because the actual number isn't higher than 100. Chad's 99 degree fever is comparable to someone with the typical body temp of 98.6 running a fever of 101.6, but it's rarely treated that way.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

I guess we all have different normal's, I always set the heart rate alarms off in the ER because mines so slow. Some nurses don't believe it when I tell them it's ok, like I would lie about that??

I guess this is why it's a good idea to keep track of your vitals so you know when there out of your normal range.
    c3/c4, injured 2007

If I get up to 99 (two degrees above my normal), I get more concerned, with or without other symptoms. As long as the temp varies, but is down around my normal 97 some of the times, I figure it isn't an infection of any kind (those would keep temp up, correct?)
    Alan

Yesterday - 98.9 morning, 97.1 night. That kind of variation.
    Alan

98.5 last night, 96.9 this morning. Sent in a sample yesterday, as two readings Wednesday were 99.9.
    Alan