Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guidance please on the difference in tire hubs and axles

Guidance please on the difference in tire hubs and axles

I have a Tilite Model ZFS2 TILITE ZRA with Tilite branded 24" rear wheels with low flange hubs.

I want to use a pair of Spinergy 24" rear wheels with Spox Hubs and quick release axles

Question: Why don't the Spox quick release axles "click in" to the TiLite's camber tube? The axles fit the camber tube, they just don't lock in place.

I know this is an elementary question, I do plead my ignorance. Thank you.

Sounds like you just need to adjust the nut on the axle. This is what sets the interaction of hub and axle.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

It's that simple?

McDuff,

So it's a simple as moving the nut that's on the axle, see photos attached below?

Quote Originally Posted by douglastneidermeyer View Post
    McDuff,

So it's a simple as moving the nut that's on the axle, see photos attached below?
    Yeah, its the second picture that has the nut you want to adjust. If you can't get them to work I have an extra set of axles that fit spinergy lxs on a zra2 that I will send you for shipping cost (which would be 5 bucks)

Basically, yes. The other end of the axle has a little ball bearing that drops into the axle when you press on the quick release. That allows the axle to be removed or inserted into the camber tube. As you insert the axle, the ball bearing must travel far enough into the camber tube for the axle ball bearing to "snap" back up. This locks the axle. If you only insert the axle part way or if it's not long enough, you can pull the axle back out without having to depress the quick release, not good. The nut allows for fine adjust to take up any play when the wheel is on. This of course assumes the axle is long enough for the hub/camber tube combination.

It's as simple as adjusting my nuts?

Heck, I've been adjusting my nuts for years, so this hopefully will be easy.

T8Burst, I appreciate the offer on the axles. Let me see how this works out. If it doesn't I might just take you up on the offer.

LazierDog: Excellent explanation for an idiot like me. You really should right technical document, you've got that knack.

I hope to have a post mortem shortly. Thank you again.

...and to continue on this thread

So if move the nut on the axle out towards then end of the hub, this in effective makes the axle longer and thus it then should travel far enough into the camber tub for the ball bearings to set themselves. Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by douglastneidermeyer View Post
    So if move the nut on the axle out towards then end of the hub, this in effective makes the axle longer and thus it then should travel far enough into the camber tub for the ball bearings to set themselves. Yes?
    Yes, the direction is correct, towards the quick release button. Hopefully, you'll have enough length. Use vise grips and a towel to prevent scratching the axle. Technical writing doesn't pay enough, too many toys.

Well that wasn't successful

I took one wheel's quick release axle nut an unscrewed it all the way to the end toward's the plastic cap.

I then took the other wheel's quick release axle nut and screwed it all the way towards the camber.

I then adjusted the nut in and out without successfully seating the ball bearing on either tire/axle setup

I even attempted moving the axle sleeve, but then I realized that wouldn't accomplish.

So would this be the result of the axle being too short and not going far enough into the axle sleeve?

Where does the axle's ball bearing sit into, the axle sleeve or is there an indentation for the ball bearing in the camber tube itself.

T8Burst: "...have an extra set of axles that fit spinergy lxs on a zra2 that I will send you for shipping cost (which would be 5 bucks)"

Would the Spinergy LXS axles also work on the Spinergy SPOX hub? If so, I'll take you up on your offer. If you have a PayPal account I can send you the shipping cost.

Silly me, I thought that these quick release axles were a one size fits all.

Again, thanks all for the assistance on this.

Tinkering with these chairs can be real fun. Who needs those DMG's anyway.

It does appear that the axle is too short. The ball bearing doesn't sit in anything. It just needs to clear the end of the sleeve in order to pop up, thus preventing the axle from backing out. Measure the width of the hub on the original wheels as well as the Spox hubs. If the difference is more than say 1/4" your axle is probably too short. I believe the axle diameter is the same between manufacturers, but I could be wrong.