Thread: Where the hell did that go?

Where the hell did that go?

http://www.purdue.edu/UNS/html4ever/...rgens.peg.html

http://news.uns.purdue.edu/UNS/html4...rgens.PEG.html

Unlike broken bones or torn ligaments, injured spinal cords never heal. "It's one of the great mysteries of neurobiology," says Richard Borgens of Purdue University. Such nerve damage invariably causes permanent paralysis, a grim prognosis that Borgens, a neurobiologist, hopes to change. He and physiologist Riyi Shi have managed to restore some function to the crushed spinal cords of guinea pigs.

The researchers treated the guinea pigs with a chemical called polyethylene glycol, applying it directly to the crushed parts of the animals' spinal cords. The chemical attracts water molecules and dehydrates membranes of nerve cells. Without water, the proteins in the membranes cluster together, "like soldiers closing ranks," says Borgens. This clustering seals tears at a cellular level and fuses damaged cells together. After a few minutes, Borgens adds water to the cells, restoring the membranes to normal.

Early results have been promising: of the dozens of guinea pigs tested, all regained some sensation and motor control. "Human trials," says Borgens, "could begin in a couple of years."

Conspiracy

It's time for a good conspiriacy theory here...Ladies and Gentleman?

Eric Texley

It's nice to hear "a couple of years" for a change vs. ten years.

Eric - Why is it time for a good conspiracy theory? I mean, for some, it's ALWAYS a good time. Just wondering what you mean and if you're simply using sarcasm.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

It was a couple of years three years ago!

Blyat'!

I'm being sarcastic...but only half sarcastic. There are SO MANY different avenues being explored with central nervous system regeneration...one would think it's just a matter of time before walking is the ultimate result, rather than being happy to be confined to a "neurological prison."

And I also am thinking about what the thinking of the medical community, as it was mentioned in Luba's book...why people shouldn't be encouraged to invent such ideas. Why the heck shouldn't we? The only way we're going to ever get better is if our community stands together and DEMANDS a CURE, not a SOLUTION.

I'm not satisfied living in a wheelchair. I HATE IT. EVERY MINUTE of it.

Eric Texley

Dmitry,

Blyad' - to be correct

We

need Dean Kamen to work on our problem.

Let's e-mail his team and let him know our situation.

www.segway.com or is there a different site?

Onward and Upward!