Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: pressure/bed sore healing facility recommendation in nj??..

Thank the F Heavens!
    Now that is what I wanted/expected to hear...not the you need surgery part. That sucks. But it IS the requiired treatment for osteomyolitis and the correct treatment that will get you back in your hot rods ASA HUMANLY P! Moorestown guy sounds good and I like he's nto forcing the smoking thing on you at the same time (although I'm a huge fan of you not doing that to yourself either...but I can harp on that later..this is bigger).. YAY for wheels turning. Don't leave us hanging..Good vibes still being sent to you!
    Liza R. McCollum

};->
    happy 4th of july to jenn, liza and everyone else!!!.....
    wherever you go there you are...

Happy 4th bro
    Liza R. McCollum

Sounds like he is planning to do a debridement of your wound, which would need to be done prior to considering a flap, to cut out dead and infected tissue. You are likely to have a much larger appearing wound after this, and may need to have a VAC on the wound then. Not sitting is still important, and of course so is nutrition and not smoking.

Be sure that they are prepared to manage any AD you can get in surgery or in the first 24-48 hours after surgery. With a debridement it can be significant.

(KLD)

Hope the surgery goes well!!! Be kind to yourself and take it easy...and I hope you are doing better in the non-smoking area!!!

Happy July 4th to you too!

And oh yeah...I was talking to you...lol!

Quote Originally Posted by teena View Post
    hope you are doing better in the non-smoking area!!!....Happy July 4th to you too!...And oh yeah...I was talking to you...lol!
    thanks teena,

hell, even just cuttin' down on smokes is hard for me, i seem to be down to less than 3/4 pack per day so far [from my regular 1 to 1.5 pack habit] and i'm already cranky...will try to stick with that reduction for now, until i can hopefully get comfortable with before trying for even less, rather than risk getting really out of whack and thus go back to my previous limit....

oh, ok hehe...jenn said ya're a 'resident cheerleader' and i'm certain she was included in those wishes as well...
    };->

Of course you will likely be on bed rest for this short hospitalization, and no smoking will be allowed, so use this time to start working on quitting. Nearly all hospitals are now totally non-smoking, even on the grounds.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Sounds like he is planning to do a debridement of your wound...You are likely to have a much larger appearing wound after this....Be sure that they are prepared to manage any AD you can get in surgery or in the first 24-48 hours after surgery. With a debridement it can be significant.(KLD)
    aaaah, hello back kld....
    thanks as always for your much valued opinion...happy 4th...

errrrr....what is an 'ad'????....i tried fitting any logically context appropriate words/terms into it [infection, infectious disease...] but can't come up with anything....and i don't believe i'm in danger of suddenly developing alzheimer's disease post-op...i'm feelin' a bit thick with regards to that acronym hehe...

well, i've got another small bummer to add to my list of woes...just discovered a pretty bad ulcer just behind my left elbow...bastard must've been festering there for a while because it burned/hurt there for the past 2-1.5 months whenever i'd be leaning on it but i frequently hurt there a bit if i overdo using my left side to lean on therefore i didn't think much of it...the central part of my left elbow has been calloused and ugly looking for years [i need to support myself on that elbow in bed when i speak on the phone, eat or do anything requiring the use of my only usable right hand, and i also must use it for support while i drive] with very rough skin so it's difficult to tell by simply touching/feeling manually of that area whether there's an open cut or wound...and the place where the sore is currently, is simply impossible to see for me....

however, today morning that area just behind my elbow burned unusually intensively and i've noticed several bloody spots on my pillow/sheet wherever i had leaned with my elbow at, so i broke out a mirror and saw almost a dime size sore going right past all the epidermus layers into the flesh...worst part about it is that the skin around that wound is all cracked in a round radial pattern and to me seems like there's already some bad tunneling all around the sore...

damnnnnnnnn....just barely starting to get used to the idea of the imminent surgery [-ies] and all the other rather not so pleasant stuff pertaining to it which i'll have to deal with asap, and now this bleedin' addition hehe...i asked my mom to make a dressing on that wound as well and she reproduced a dressing currently being used to treat my hip pressure sore but on a smaller/shallower scale...and it's a real bitch to make that tagaderm adhesive [or any adhesive medium] to stick since it's right above, and slightly on, the elbow joint so it flexes/moves whenever i do almost any sort of shift/movement....i'm not catching many breaks here this year hehehe...
    will have to show that new sore to the visiting nurse tomorrow, and whomever i'll see at the morristown 'wound care center' next week....

ha!!!...i think i just figured out the 'ad' acronym haha...'autonomic dysreflexia' right?...i normally say 'dysreflexia' at er/hospitals which are largely ignorant of sci terms, but should start using this acronym myself it as well since it's so much easier and faster to say/type...
    hmm, i've been getting 'ad' more frequently and intensely lately so i'll be sure to ask and mention this pre-op....thanks....
    };->
    Last edited by juras; 07-03-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Of course you will likely be on bed rest for this short hospitalization, and no smoking will be allowed....Nearly all hospitals are now totally non-smoking, even on the grounds.(KLD)
    aye, i'm painfully aware of that...as long as they won't keep me in the hosital for more than a week or so [hopefully will be able to get that 'picc line' at home] i'll manage somehow...once back i'll keep on trying hard...gradually....cold turkey worked [very painfully however] with hard stuff but doesn't with this, at least not for me...i don't think i'll feel the initial withdrawal symptoms too badly at the hospital...the last extensive surgery i've had was for both of my legs and stayed in the hospital for 10 days...at that time i was starting to go seriously nuts and so i signed myself out...but didn't really start feeling the withdrawals from smoking until about the 5thh or 6th day...and i did sneak a few puffs in room's bathroom on a couple of occasions...

Yikes and ouch...you gotta quit needing high tech band-aids here! Glad you figured out that your elbow needed attention too!!!

Hey I was wishing everybody well, but you in particular...

I really BELIEVE you can quit smoking. Why? Because anybody who has a heart for old classic cars like your Studebaker (spelled wrongly I think) also has spunk and spirit...and you CAN let them go...you CAN.

See? CHEERLEADER! LOL!!!

BTW that truck I am standing beside in my Avatar is an old chevy...belongs to a friend at my old church...has only had THREE owners. The guy who owns it saw it when he was like 7 or 9 years old, and told the original owner..."One day I am gonna OWN that truck!!! (and he does!)... Cool truck...horn is brass and goes OOOHHHH-GGAAAAHHHHHH!!!

You are gonna get through all this...so keep trucking!

Take care!

Teena