Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off to Shiners in Philadelphia - where good for kids

Off to Shiners in Philadelphia - where good for kids

Hi we are on our travels to the USA again this time for a week to Shiners in Philadelphia. We were hoping to make a holiday out of it for the kids so can anybody suggest places to bring the kids around Philly we could drive to.

We found Idlewild on the web but is it accessible for kids? They are age 9 and 11 so I ruled out Seasame Place. Even if I always want to "Get to Seasame Street".

Any suggestions

the please touch museum, and any of the museums, and the camden aquarium, that rocks.

Sesame Street goes for 11+----at least my older 2 still loved it.

Franklin Institute of Science in Philadelphia is a MUST, my younger 2 love it.

There is a 6 Flags in south NJ, near Bordentown. The local Hampton Inn is very accessible and has an accessible swimingpool with lift.

Baltimore is a 2 hour drive and there is the National Aquarium and Inner Harbor. You could also make an overnight trip to Washington DC via Amtrak and not have to worry about driving.

Another nice trip is Hershey Park in Hershey PA. They are pretty accessible and have shows, tours, waterpark, etc. Plus, they have Hershey Chocolate!

You could try for a baseball game in Philadelphia or Camden Yards in Baltimore.

If you need more ideas send me a PM as I know the region very well and travel it often via train.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I have a friend with a child who has been sick and without a diagnosis for 4yrs. I suggested she go to Shriners but she is reluctant. I assume costs are aided?

I had the offer when I was 12 and first sick and no one knew what was wrong, but a diagnosis came 2 weeks later and my parents didn't want me that far anyway.

Just wondering so I can inform my friend.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I have a friend with a child who has been sick and without a diagnosis for 4yrs. I suggested she go to Shriners but she is reluctant. I assume costs are aided?

I had the offer when I was 12 and first sick and no one knew what was wrong, but a diagnosis came 2 weeks later and my parents didn't want me that far anyway.

Shriners assists SCI, orthopedic and burns in children. Their focus is pretty narrow. Go to Shriners.org They cover all costs if a child is accepted.

Thanks Cheese. I don't think she'd qualify then ... but her son DID have osteomyelitis for some unexplained reason when born. He suffers pain daily with fever and is quite lethargic at times ... other times he seems like a normal kid. Several doctors from here to Toronto with no diagnosis.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Franklin Institute. Don't leave Philly without visiting it.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
    Franklin Institute. Don't leave Philly without visiting it.
    Agreed! It is very accessible and very hands on as well. The surrounding museums and gardens are beautiful.

Shriners might even get a discounted price.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post

Dave and I took my friends daughter a screening the Shriner's had locally and then to the Shriner's hospital in Minneapolis area. This was 5 years ago.
    I don't know the medical term, but her feet turn out-one quite severely.
    Her insurance would not cover a pre existing condition.
    It was a first class facility and wonderful people. They paid our gas and hotel and would have paid for meals too if we turned in receipts.
    My friend was caring for her father and was not able to do it herself, but now she goes back each year and they are monitoring it.
    Is there a local Shriner lodge to call to see if they have screenings?

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Is there a local Shriner lodge to call to see if they have screenings?
    I believe there is a Shriners contact in the area .. thanks for reminding me!

Sorry to go off-topic. It's excellent that Shriner's still exists for children in need.

Here's to excellent care for your son!