Thread: spilling my gut feelings on Pain

Unhappy spilling my gut feelings on Pain

Here is a simple question to everyone who has a SCI cord back pain

What do you use ?
    I am still trying the lyrica it is not noticable .

We all been talking about neuropatic pain etc....

Being I have 2 levels of back injury I have massive Migraines and use soma and butalbital which takes the edge off ... I have these dizzy headaches because of my disks in my neck pinched nerves , restricted blood flow to a area in my brain . this has been since I was injured @ 16

After my 2nd broken back n neck from that freak motorcycle accident
    here I am again but wondering the surgeon put me on Baclofen for so many years it must be a very common SCI prescription my point is I am immune to it but have to stay on it some of you use the pumps I use oral pills but what the heck !!!!

For me Pain is hard to describe because I live with it 24 / 7

I am a tough country lady it boggles me because sometimes I feel so alone

It is scary I am alone ... Sorry I just had to ask what do you all do ?

Bye GL

GL, I don't really know what to tell you. It seems to be an individual thing, and always seems to be a combo of drugs. Mine is two levels of injury.....c 4-5-6 and L 4-5-S-1..then add the 24/7 neuropathy onto that. I handle the pain at both levels pretty well....it's the neuropathy that has my life a mess.

I take Gabapentin instead of the Lyrica......it works better for me, for some the Lyrica works better. You just have to try them. For the rest Methocarbamal for muscle spasms and Morphine and Hyrocodone for the rest of the pain. I go to a pain clinic once a month, they work with you and whatever type of pain you have. I go to a good one, they take the time to talk with you every month. They change and tweak meds until they find what works for you. My neuropathy is considered chronic and severe.....with no end ever in sight. All they can do is try to make me comfortable. And, since I'm at the max dosage, there isn't much more they can do for me.

I hope you find some relief........

i take nothing!....i know the 1st response to that is "well u must not have much pain"....but how is it really measured?..its not,..its what u can handle...its been 6y yrs since injury....was on baclofen and something else(tiz something,dont remember)..got off it 6 months out....finally decided to wean myself off baclofen....have been med free for 8 months!...and all is good!.....as for pain, the 1st few years was definitly worse, i still have the burning in feet and legs, varying at times(kinda like if my feet feel asleep combined with sunburn is how i describe it)..but always there.....but i can take it ...as an athlete my whole life, ive dealt with injurys and pain pretty good...i tell myself "its just a feeling"....
    i know people have worse pain than me and some have less(and take multiple drugs).....its all a personal thing as to what u can handle....i would rather deal with the pain feeling than subject my body to drugs that will hurt me way more than the pain feeling..... in the early days, therapy suggested a baclofen pump just because i had clonus in one foot when i stood....just to think of the problems i could have gone through having it(just read posts here about em)...but i stood my ground and didnt just take or do what pt or dr's suggested.......bottom line...im healthy, yea im in a chair...but other than that, im good.....my blood work every 6 months is all the same as before my injury.....i eat good/ exercise.. have/never had any skin probs...no infections(been 5 yrs since urine infection)...had a couple 1st yr post, thats it..................i take a vitamin c 1000mg every day......and NOTHING ELSE!
    i hate reading about all the drugs people are on, its just not good....but i guess u gotta do what YOU gotta do!

good luck with whatever you do..
    - Rolling Thru Life -

We all have different injuries , pain threshholds
    Last night was just a very rough spell
    I decided to sleep the whole day in all I had was water , Pain is probably one of the hardest feeling's to describe in my case as I do not like medicine .

When I was younger before my Freak Motorcycle accident I dealt with my pain by channeling my feelings in computer building college etc...and , as a professional painter , Artist . I used to do custom paintjobs and I loved pinstriping , graphics but lost that ability with my way I was injured .
    Neuropathic pain is probably the most difficult for me to pin point as I never heard of it up till 10 yrs ago to me breaking bones on motorcycles , dirtbikes was normal
    I've always been able to tough it out .

Now it is a different story I will be seeing my Dr probably this week and we will work on getting this ironed out .

I do not like drugs / medications . for my headaches most of the time I resort to BC powders , lot's of water .

Things will work out

Thank you
    GL

Quote Originally Posted by GL View Post
    Here is a simple question to everyone who has a SCI cord back pain

What do you use ?
    I am still trying the lyrica it is not noticable .

We all been talking about neuropatic pain etc....

Being I have 2 levels of back injury I have massive Migraines and use soma and butalbital which takes the edge off ... I have these dizzy headaches because of my disks in my neck pinched nerves , restricted blood flow to a area in my brain . this has been since I was injured @ 16

After my 2nd broken back n neck from that freak motorcycle accident
    here I am again but wondering the surgeon put me on Baclofen for so many years it must be a very common SCI prescription my point is I am immune to it but have to stay on it some of you use the pumps I use oral pills but what the heck !!!!

For me Pain is hard to describe because I live with it 24 / 7

I am a tough country lady it boggles me because sometimes I feel so alone

It is scary I am alone ... Sorry I just had to ask what do you all do ?

Bye GL

i live in pain and i think of what larry flint did.. sever the cord complete after 10yrs of pain he said its the best thing that happen to him.
    life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

papito1 Hi
    This is a rough topic I wrote but for the time being I really do not want any more surgery i've been through my share ...

For Larry and others it works
    If you opt for it I wish you the best

Thank you for your kind insight
    Sincerely ;
    GL