Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aging with a SCI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Aging with a SCI

Hi All,
    I've been a quad for 18yrs due to auto accident. I've always been strong and self reliant, that is until now. I've become so weak that dressing and transfering is getting hard. I recently got an assistand who comes M-F for 3 hours. She is a tremendous help in the am but now getting read for bed is exhausting. I'm afraid of what my future holds and don't know what the solution is. Can't afford full time help.

No easy answer to that one, and a fear I think many of us have. Is there any family that can help........or maybe you would qualify for some state assistance?

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this...good luck to you.

Has this been a sudden downturn or has it been very gradual? What level is your injury? Do you feel well other than for the weakness? Do you exercise? There are a lot of things that could be going on other than aging.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Many possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Has this been a sudden downturn or has it been very gradual? What level is your injury? Do you feel well other than for the weakness? Do you exercise? There are a lot of things that could be going on other than aging.
    38 yrs post injury here, and I agree with SCIfor. See a General practitioner for a full physical. Good luck.

syrinx?
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

Being just 2 1/2 yrs post, can't offer the aged advice on getting older with a SCI, but agree with the others here to have an extensive physical, including a MRI w/ contrast, if possible. Also, be sure a radiologist experienced in reading SCI results is involved. Have had a couple bad experiences with inexperienced radiologists, who cost precious time, which lead to further damage from compression.

Quote Originally Posted by jerkens View Post
    syrinx?
    My first thought. An MRI for a syrinx would be my priority.

I totally agree with SCIfor55....

.... however I see from your profile that you're 51.

I was fine until I hit 50 it was then that life became hard work, shoulder pain, fatigue, etc., etc, and I also started to lose interest in things I had been formally passionate about.

The shoulder pain is real enough and I don't have the energy I once had but as for the rest I often wonder if there was some psychological input from the 50th birthday milestone.

Blog Entries
    We get so focused on dealing with SCI that sometimes we forget that we are still prone to all the other insults of aging. Take your symptoms to your doctor and see what comes of it...good luck.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Quote Originally Posted by TomRL View Post
    We get so focused on dealing with SCI that sometimes we forget that we are still prone to all the other insults of aging. Take your symptoms to your doctor and see what comes of it...good luck.
    Excellent point, Tom