Thread: Neglect, Providers unable to staff

Neglect, Providers unable to staff

BRIEF SUMMARY: C5/6 Quad, Complete. I moved into my own home Oct. 2009. My brother moved in to ease the transition and also provide my evening hours until the position was staffed. Never happened, My brother and I had our differences and I was left with no one to assist me to bed. I was left to sleep in my chair and developed a sore that now is 4.2cm deep and into the muscle. I'm still on bed rest, unable to complete school, pain & suffering, unstable mentally. This began in December of 2010. I had myself admitted for "rehabilitation" so that I could get the assistance needed to get in and out of bed so that I could stay off the sore as much as possible. Once I had left there in the middle of March I switched to a new provider. To date they have fulfilled a little more than 30% of the coverage they are being paid to provide for me.

Both agencies say that they cannot staff for my hours because the people are not comfortable with the care I need, or they cannot find anyone in my area that is capable. Both agencies were aware of my disability and needs.

My questions are, who considers this as neglect? Should I be compensated for my suffering and losses? Is $8.00 fair pay for a caregiver to take care of an individual with my level of injury?

It's obvious there are flaws with the current waiver I'm on in Oklahoma. Who should I contact with concerns outside of the agency that provides my waiver?
    Last edited by GoTWHeeLs; 06-08-2011 at 10:43 PM.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Who pays for your attendant care?

Do you have a choice of agencies?

Can you hire someone outside of an agency and get the PCA paid for by whomever pays?

Have you talked to the director of nurses at the agencies in question?

Have you talked to your contact/case manager/etc. at your funding agency?

If they don't have the staff, they can't provide the care, but if they have a contract with your funding source, then the terms of the contract would define who is responsible and for what. You should ask to see the contract.

In my area, the state run, county administered program for those with low income who quality (program is called IHSS = In Home Supportive Services) pays a little over minimum wage, with no benefits. They do allow you to hire on your own; and in fact most agencies will not take IHSS accounts since they pay is so low. Most agencies charge around $20-25/hr. for nurses aides in my area (most of which of course goes to the agency, not to the aide). In addition, nurses aides from agencies are not allowed in my state to do bowel care, caths or administer medications, so many times an LVN or RN would be needed at much higher costs.

(KLD)

No agency in our area will take my husband, even before he had a trachea.
    It was quite an eye opener and even the social worker at the hospital was surprised that the largest one would not touch him.
    We were able to fine a couple on our own, but their wage was $17 an hour. We did not need as much help then and had not spent all of own funds so got by that way for over a year.
    Eventually he qualified for a nursing home waiver program that pays for aides, but there is still the struggle to find good reliable people.
    I'm sorry things did not work out with your brother. It will be hard to find someone for $8.00 I'm afraid.

You can make 8 dollars an hour at McDonalds. I don't think that you will be successful finding someone to take care of you at that rate of pay. I am really sorry for all your problems and wish you the best.

Who pays for your attendant care?
    Advantage Waiver, program is run by DHS. It was developed for the elderly, Department of Aging.

Do you have a choice of agencies? They allow 9 agencies to except referrals, 9 out of 330

Can you hire someone outside of an agency and get the PCA paid for by whomever pays?
    No

Have you talked to the director of nurses at the agencies in question?
    Yes, all the way to the Director. They know the system doesn't work.

Have you talked to your contact/case manager/etc. at your funding agency?
    Yes, she also knows the system doesn't work. "this is how it's always been."

If they don't have the staff, they can't provide the care, but if they have a contract with your funding source, then the terms of the contract would define who is responsible and for what. You should ask to see the contract.
    They accepted my plan, what could they possibly have in the contract that would excuse them from not staffing me for such an extended amount of time?

In my area, the state run, county administered program for those with low income who quality (program is called IHSS = In Home Supportive Services) pays a little over minimum wage, with no benefits. They do allow you to hire on your own; and in fact most agencies will not take IHSS accounts since they pay is so low. Most agencies charge around $20-25/hr. for nurses aides in my area (most of which of course goes to the agency, not to the aide). In addition, nurses aides from agencies are not allowed in my state to do bowel care, caths or administer medications, so many times an LVN or RN would be needed at much higher costs.

We are hoping for something similiar here. The contract pays $13/hr and we're hoping the individuals will receive something close to that for employee pay but we have to work with our legislatures in the fall, any advice on how to lobby for this?

I want to pursue a neglect case. With whatever comes from that I will use it solely for my home health costs. If I can get my home health taken care of I can function again.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace