Thread: Is there such a thing ? Hand (Parking) brake conversion

Question Is there such a thing ? Hand (Parking) brake conversion

Hi guys,

I just bought a new car (2011 Charger R/T in Toxic Orange) and had my Menox hand controls installed. There is something I missed when I did test drive the car. I didn't check the Hand brake, it's the leg operated kind.

Is there a kit or something I can install to make it button-operational ? They also couldn't make the side button (brake lock) on the Menox hand controls work because (they say) that it wouldn't work on a manual Hand brake and it needs to be button operated.

On my old car (2005 Mustang GT) they also couldn't make the button work and I would really like to make this work with this new car since it's a very useful feature for me.

Thank you all for your help.

Yours,

Neo

I dunno about in sports cars, but in my beast of a van there is a toggle switch that I hold down to electronically depress the emergency break.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

The side switch on the Menox is not for the E-Brake, but rather you push the hand control to engage the regular brake and then push that button. When you let go the brake is still holding so you can switch your car into gear, reverse, etc. Since I have a Toyota Rav4 and my Menox and gear change are both near the center console, I can't operate both at the same time, so the brake hold feature on the Menox is great to allow me to change gears.
    Mandy
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

They make a hand operated lever which is used to depress the parking brake. I believe you do need this to be "legal". The maker of your hand controls should have them. If not try these folks: http://www.mobilityproductsdesign.com/index.asp
    Last edited by GinoL; 06-09-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CurvySAT05 View Post
    The side switch on the Menox is not for the E-Brake, but rather you push the hand control to engage the regular brake and then push that button. When you let go the brake is still holding so you can switch your car into gear, reverse, etc. Since I have a Toyota Rav4 and my Menox and gear change are both near the center console, I can't operate both at the same time, so the brake hold feature on the Menox is great to allow me to change gears.
    Mandy
    Has that been around for a long time (say 8 years ago)? The only reason I didn't get an Audi S4 was because I could hold down the break and change the shifter position.. If so
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

I think this is the one my van has-http://www.emc-digi.com/explore.cfm/electricparkbrake/

Here is another one- http://www.parfit.ie/disabled-driver...ke-push-button
    c3/c4, injured 2007

Try these guys: http://www.greshamdrivingaids.com/Ex...p?cat=9&page=1

THey use to make a bolt on lever for a foot operated e-brake.
    If the people that put your hand controls on did not hook up the push button brake on the hand control. Go to the drag strip and find someone there. They use a push button brake on drag cars called a "line lock". THey should be able to help you hook it up.