Thread: rectal prolapse

rectal prolapse

I recently had a colostomy but still have a big rectal prolapse on shower days. Why doesnt this go away now that bowel movements don't go out this way?

Because the muscle/tendons have lost their elasticity and gravity over a commode or toilet is not a paralyzed person's friend?

Why wouldn't they have corrected this when you had your colostomy?

I have a rectocele at the moment as well. I plan on having that sucker fixed!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

The surgery for this is not simple. Did they know you were having problems at the time you had the colostomy? Have you gone back to see your colorectal surgeon and mentioned this?

Until you get someone to look at it, be sure to lube it up good and reduce it (push it back in) after sitting with the area unsupported (commode, shower chair, etc.). If you cannot reduce it, this is an emergency and you should seek medical attention right away.

(KLD)

wow, why would it be an emergency? I've had it for many years, looks like a hemmeroid sticking out but a surgeon did look at it years ago and called it a prolapse but didnt recommend doing anything about it. I just thought it would sink in and stay after colostomy.

Maybe you only have a prolapsed hemorrhoid, which isn't all that bad compared to a prolapsed rectum.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnb View Post
    wow, why would it be an emergency? I've had it for many years, looks like a hemmeroid sticking out but a surgeon did look at it years ago and called it a prolapse but didnt recommend doing anything about it. I just thought it would sink in and stay after colostomy.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

A prolapsed rectum (outside of your body) could have its circulation cut off while you're sitting on it ... form a nasty wound/infection ... and be all kinds of hell <--- why it would be an emergency.

I'd get it checked by whomever did your surgery for the colostomy just to be on the safe side, but that's just me.

Here's a good example of a prolapsed rectum that I just googled (not me by the way!). If you google other 'prolapsed rectum' images, you'll see some come right out.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

sounds like you may just have mucousal prolapse where by now you have "redundant" tissue. If that's the case, a hemmoroidectomy or "excision" might be helpful - not too bad of a surgery. Fast recovery time, especially if you no longer use it - outpatient surgery. You should have a consult for sure.
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi