Thread: spinal cord stroke

spinal cord stroke

my mom is 73 and was recently diagnosed with a spinal cord stroke. She has no feeling from the waist down, she is on a foley catheter. she can move her toes but nothing else. she had brain aneurysm surgeries 30 years ago. she is on 02 for severe COPD. She is in a rehab/skilled nursing facility now. in March she fell at her assisted living facility and broke her left hip and left wrist. This is when she went to the rehab facility, she was doing good with her rehab, but in less than a week there, I checked on her on my way to work and found that she could not feel her legs. She was taken back to the hospital and had a gamat of tests. they cold not do an MRI due to the metal clips in her head. I was told to move her out of her assisted living facility and she will be at the rehab/skilled nursing facility for long term.

anyone dealing with this?

any advice for her prognosis?

Quote Originally Posted by TDJ57 View Post
    my mom is 73 and was recently diagnosed with a spinal cord stroke. She has no feeling from the waist down, she is on a foley catheter. she can move her toes but nothing else. she had brain aneurysm surgeries 30 years ago. she is on 02 for severe COPD. She is in a rehab/skilled nursing facility now. in March she fell at her assisted living facility and broke her left hip and left wrist. This is when she went to the rehab facility, she was doing good with her rehab, but in less than a week there, I checked on her on my way to work and found that she could not feel her legs. She was taken back to the hospital and had a gamat of tests. they cold not do an MRI due to the metal clips in her head. I was told to move her out of her assisted living facility and she will be at the rehab/skilled nursing facility for long term.

anyone dealing with this?

any advice for her prognosis?
    TDJ57,

I am sorry to hear about your mother.

You did not mention whether your mother was investigated for the cause of her spinal cord stroke. Strokes of the spinal cord are relatively rare. She should at least have a CT scan to rule out a tumor and to make sure that she does not have compression of her spinal cord.

I assume that the level is somewhere in the thoracic spinal level, since this is where most strokes of the spinal cord are located. Diagnoses to rule out include an arteriovenous malformation, a tumor, and aortic aneurysm.

If she starts getting urinary tract infections, she should get intermittent catheterization instead of a foley.

I assume she is actually in a "subacute" rehab facility, which is a nursing home with perhaps 1 hour of therapy daily. Did you try to get her into a good acute rehab program, esp. one that specializes in SCI rehab? It is difficult to do this for elderly patients, but a family member pushing hard can make a big difference. If she were more independent in her self care, could she live by herself on in assisted living? Most acute rehab centers will not take anyone with a disabilility for rehab if there is no viable discharge plan except to go to a nursing home.

(KLD)