Thread: new L1 burst fracture

Banned

Angry new L1 burst fracture

hi this is adams mom, his injury occured 5/23/11 driving home from work 1 vehicle accident, had 2 rods and 3 screws placed, neuro surgeon says he will walk his nerves are asleep, his right leg moves slightly he is able to flex his thigh muscle, left leg still not moving he can feel almost all the front of both legs not the back of legs and he feels top of feet not underneath and not his toes, he is Baylor Rehab right now with a negative Doc but thats okay we still have faith in neuro surgeon his TLSO brace still worn when he gets up, what kind of rehab does he need when they discharge him 7/2/11 do I need to look for inpatient intense therapy or out patient therapy any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

If he is being discharged in July, he does not need an inpatient rehab program any more. I would suggest you discuss his outpatient therapy and medical/nursing follow up needs with his team at Baylor. If you are not happy with his physician, you can ask to change him to a different one. I assume he is under age so that he can't make this decision himself??

You didn't mention any bowel/bladder/sexual dysfunction related to his injury. With a cauda equina injury like this, these are commonly long lasting problems, even if the person regains the ability to walk. They will need long term follow up even if he gets more motor return.

(KLD)

I'm sorry to hear about Adam's accident. I'm sure it's been a big shock to him and everyone who cares for him. It sounds as if his prognosis is good, though.

I have an L1 and L5 injury, sustained in late July 2010. His symptoms, as you described them are very similar to what I've experienced, more sensation on the front of legs than the back, only portions of the feet with sensation, etc.

I wanted to give you a little information that was a long time in coming to me. My surgeon, too, said I'd walk again and indicated only a small portion of foot motion that he thought might be too injured to return. That sounded pretty good to me, especially right after surgery when I doubted if I'd walk again. I guess, in my mind's eye, I expected to rise up from my wheelchair as soon as my broken leg was mended and walk.

What was not clear was the amount of time and the recovery effort that is required to come back from such an injury. I've been at it for 10 months now and have gotten out of a wheelchair (in December) to a walker (January), to crutches (also January) to two canes (February). I've been working ever since on walking with one cane, balancing, strengthening, etc.

The recovery process for nerves is slow, indeed, and you never really know what will come back next or when.

I tell you this not to discourage you, but to encourage you and your son to keep working the PT as much as possible. Don't get down if things don't come together all at once. Every person is different and his recovery may be far different from what I described to you. However, it is likely that his body will need time to heal.

Watch for small improvements that add up to big gains. Be patient with things like balance, which relies of many areas of the body to operate correctly. Celebrate the small victories when they come but try not to set expectations for things that are outside of your control.

While he is healing, have a plan for some things he can accomplish during that time. Perhaps taking an online class or some art projects. It can be hard for an active person to pass the time when restricted by the healing process. If taken positively, this could be quite a learning experience for your son, bringing him a view of the world he never would otherwise have appreciated and adding to his personal growth.

I wish you both the very best!

I had a burst fracture at l1 on may17,2011 had surgery and fused from t10 to l3 no ,fun,
    nerver lost use of legs but lost about 25% of strength. have numbness in lower back on
    right side and pain in buttox and genital areas and radiating down legs . my surgery was
    on may 23,,2011 and sent home on the 25th . Dr. told wife i had an 85% chance of being
    paralized even with surgery, think god im not............. have to walk with a cain though .

Hello AdamNeed,

I think you'll find many friends here and we will be glad to help with any questions.

All the best.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne