Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: miralax bowel prep

miralax bowel prep

ok got the surgeon to ok me doing my own prep since I cant' take an ennema or drink the prep stuff. However I've heard such good things about miralax i was considering trying to drink it. I'm having bladder stones removed and the doc wants me cleaned out.

Any advice for doing a miralax bowel prep would be great. How much? how often? details are good ..thank you!

I forgot to add..here's my plan of attack so far...also suggestions welcome on this as well..

3 days prior eat only foods that make me "go" like gangbusters and induce "the runs" to get it out initially

2 days prior and continuing until surgery: clears only and miralax?

day before surgery: more miralax no food/drink after 10pm until surgery the next day

I don't think Miralax will clean you out, per se. I guess it depends on what your doctor means by "bowel prep."
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

What about the osmoprep I posted? Its pills and will clean you out. What you describe will not clear you out enough for a colonoscopy, if you need to be that level of "clean".

Agree with the others -- Miralax will not work. On top of not being potent enough for a full purge, it takes a long time to start to work for many of us who've tried it. The first time I used it, it took three days and three full doses before it had any effect at all.

Your best option for getting completely your colon completely emptied is the prescription drug OsmoPrep that zillazangel suggested. 20 tablets with 32 ounces of clear liquids the night before, and another dozen pills 3-5 hours before your surgery with an additional 24 ounces of clear liquids. It will be the least intrusive on your life because it only requires you to abstain from eating normally for about 24 hours instead of days, it's not a liquid or an enema, and it's designed to get the large bowel colonoscopy-clean.

If you're still opposed to that for whatever reason, I stand by my suggestion for massive doses of magnesium supplements pair with a stimulant of some kind (senna, prunes, etc.).

But I can't fathom why you'd elect to use an untried, unproven home remedy when there is an existing product that seems tailor-made for your situation.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Well, of course Miralax will work if you take enough of it. It is the exact same chemical as Golytely, so if you take enough, it will clean you out. Whether it will be safe or effective is anyones guess. Since the colorectal surgeon has OK'd this, they should be directing you on what meds and how much to take.

In addition to the bowel prep medications mentioned above, there is also Haf-lytely which some physicians in my area use for their coloscopy preps. It is roughly half the amount of fluid to drink as Golytely.

(KLD)

KLD, she's having bladder stones removed. That usually doesn't require one to be cleaned out, right? I wonder why her doctor wants this done.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Holy shyt!!! I just got off miralax. I had bypass surgery and they put me on it after surgery, it didn't work for the first week, then look out, the week after that, I couldn't move w/o a movement, if ya know what I mean. I couldn't leave it behind fast enuf.

thanks and further explanation

In answer to why not use osmo prep...in reading it says that it reacts with a particular narcotic that I am on.
    Last edited by mcco5543; 06-08-2011 at 04:01 AM.

Does anyone have any suggestions on using miralax for pre surgery bowel prep or any other particularly effective method not using massive amounts of liquid laxitives?
    Truthfully i'm trying to avoid liquid laxitives in copious amounts if i can. I'm having surgery for bladder stones, but the surgeon (who is operating on me for the first time) is most likely going to have to cut me open to remove the stones so he wants the bowels nice and clear....

Last time I did bowel prep for surgery I just threw up the liquid, the surgeonn tried putting an NG tube (tube down nose, into tummy) to bipass the gag reflex and i still threw it right up. So massive liquid consumption of any kind is for me out of the question really.

Also the enema he wanted me to do is impossible do to complete paralays and therefore a complete inability to use the anal sphincter muscles to hold an enema for any period of time.

My plan of attack was to :

possibly try the miralax as many many people who have terrible gag reflex, sensitivity,texture issues say they can tolerate it.\

take copius amounts of laxative pills,

eat the foods that make me "blow out" like crazy and then

get on clears starting at least a day before surgery.

what do you all think? suggestsions regarding miralax and how to take it? other suggestions?

There is no reason you cannot use a low volume enema like a Fleets to finish up your prep. We do two, two hours apart, the morning of a colonoscopy for all our SCI patients. Retention is not needed.

Did you read any of the suggestions and comments above? I don't understand why you need to have a complete bowel prep for a cystoscopy. Are you having an open (surgical, not cystoscopic) stone removal for some reason? This is rarely needed unless surgery on the bowel itself, or a scope of the bowel is also required.

(KLD)