Teenager told he'd never be able to move again set to walk West Highland Way
Jun 4 2011 Samantha Booth

THREE years ago, Connor Docherty was paralysed from the neck down after a horrendous rugby injury ... now he's going to walk the West Highland Way.

The teenager had broken his neck and badly injured his spinal cord in a tackle and was warned he might never be able to move again.

But now the 19-year-old is to attempt the gruelling 96-mile route to raise cash for the Murrayfield Centenary Fund, which helps rugby players whose lives have been devastated by spinal injuries.

He already has nearly £5000 of sponsorship with more flooding in.

The Paisley student is also walking the famous route in memory of former Scottish Rugby Union boss Bill Hogg who died suddenly this year and who gave Connor endless help.

Connor, who is studying electrical and mechanical engineering at Strathclyde University, said: "Being told you might never have any movement from the shoulders down or walk again, never mind run or play rugby, is shocking.

"It takes a while to sink in and you have a lot of time to think lying there.

"Of course, there are moments where you wish it had never happened, but there is no point in looking back.

"You just have to deal with it.

"But to be where I am today about to walk the West Highland Way is incredible. A few years ago, that would have been unthinkable and I am really excited, if a bit nervous, about it".

Connor started playing rugby in second year at St Aloyisus' College in Glasgow. He said: "I loved all sports but especially football and rugby."

read....

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/re...6908-23178671/