Thread: t7 here having a challenging time getting my legs in bed

t7 here having a challenging time getting my legs in bed

Hi there everyone!

I have been in a nursing home since November of 2009. I had a flap done in February of 2010. I was admitted into St. Joseph's hospital in Phoenix Hospital NINE times in the same year. I will close with up with I was admitted to Phoenix Baptist Hospital in October and came close to passing away from pneumonia.

Let's quickly move to 20011. I was transferred to a new nursing home and I'm glad I did. I haven't been in the hospital since December of 2010. I am currently, telling it like it is, kicking ass with weight traing consistently five days a week and I have built up my upper body like there's no tomorrow.

I am currently in physical therapy and I'm doing fairly well with transferring in a out of bed with a transfer board until it comes time to sitting at the side of the bed and liftinng my legs on to the bed. You know, my core is in toilet. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME TIPS WITH THIS with this challecging task??

Here's is the deal. With all of the remarkable progress I have made this year, I signed a 12 month lease with a great a apartment this morning not even thinking and my move out date is June 30. complex in Phoenix.

PLEASE HELP. I acknowledge that I need to share this with my physical therapist and that will be tomorrow but like I said earlier more advice in this forum would be greatly appreciated as well. What pisses me off Is I was able to complete this task last week and I strongly feel that something has happened to my trunk? I haven't discussed with my physical therapist yet but I will tomorrow. Again, any comments you seasoned individuals would be appreciated.

What in the hell has happened to me? It's frustrating as hell to say the least.

Michael

1) Take a strap to hook (or hook it before hand) around your leg so you can pull it up until you find a better method.

2) Have you tried both sides? I prefer going to the left to get in bed. Use your one hand/arm to balance yourself and use your other hand/arm to 'elbow hook' under your knee and bring it up .. then push yourself further back in bed.

3) I've heard/seen others put their legs in bed first (usually men - I could never do that!) Or one leg only, for stability.

Congrats on healing your wound and getting out of the nursing home and into your own place! No small feat for sure!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

As a T8, I can tell you how I get from sitting to laying in the bed. I transfer onto the bed, scoot till my legs are as close to the bed as possible then just grab my legs behind my knees and just throw myself back on the bed rotating as I do. Its fairly easy, I actually had to think about how I do it before I could write it down.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    As a T8, I can tell you how I get from sitting to laying in the bed. I transfer onto the bed, scoot till my legs are as close to the bed as possible then just grab my legs behind my knees and just throw myself back on the bed rotating as I do. Its fairly easy, I actually had to think about how I do it before I could write it down.
    Same here...works very well...I can do it other ways too one leg at a time but this is the easiest way

Hey there Mich
    I'm an c5/c6 complete quad and I don't have near the balance you do. I set myself up for my transfer leaving my legs and feet to swivel themselves on the ground! After I get the transfer to my bed I unlock my chair and move it away so I can get my feet up. I make sure my butt is far enough back on my bed. Then I take one leg and hook it and pick up and swing/put on the bed, leaving my sox on so I got a little more traction when placing my foot on the bed, I then take my hand and hook my other leg and place it on the bed. Then get undressed, DONE! Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by michael5462 View Post

What pisses me off Is I was able to complete this task last week and I strongly feel that something has happened to my trunk?
    Go and see your neurologist ASAP!!!!

I'm a T7 and do it the same as T8burst and djrolling.

That is what I did too, though as a quad i had a velcro strap that I wrapped around my thighs then hooked my hand into as I threw myself back on the bed while rotating.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Thumbs up

I'm a T4 who had problems getting my legs into bed until I tried a gait belt around the legs under the knees. Grab the belt and throw myself back and rotate them into bed. Good luck and keep up the strength building. It took me about 4 years to get to a "balanced" level doing things!