Thread: Teriyaki Pineapple Burgers

Teriyaki Pineapple Burgers

My little girl was gone with her mom all weekend and I wanted to make her something special when she got home. She loves burgers and Jucy Lucy's, but I wanted something a little different so she doesn't get bored with burgers.
    I took one pound of ground chuck, combined with about 4 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce, granulated garlic, minced onion, ground ginger, pepper and approximately 1 teaspoon of honey.

This has been my new go to on how I've been lighting my coals since my hose torch died. 1 paper towel with a little vegetable oil on it. Place under a couple coals and light with bottom vents 100% open and lid off. Fire will be ready in 20 minutes.

Added frozen sweet potato fries. Was going to do fresh sweet potatoes but the store had NONE?!?!

After about 20 minutes I added the burgers.

Burgers and fries are done and now for the pineapple slices.

I dressed the burgers simple. Pineapple slice on top and bottom and the sauce is Duck Sauce mixed with Sriracha (3:1 Ratio). These were super simple and delicious. Probably one of the better burgers I've ever made.

Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

Oh You Bastard,
    I lost over ten pounds while you were on sabatical, now that's all shot to shit. I needed to loose another ten, but not with these pictures, I think I'll have to put you on ignore, or I won't get the extra ten I wanted!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alhavel View Post
    Oh You Bastard,
    I lost over ten pounds while you were on sabatical, now that's all shot to shit. I needed to loose another ten, but not with these pictures, I think I'll have to put you on ignore, or I won't get the extra ten I wanted!!!!!!!!!
    ROFLMAO!! Actually, had I used buffalo and fresh sweet potatoes it would have been healthier. Those are multigrain rolls to boot!

Keep up the good work losing the weight, I really need to get back to working out. I gained the 10lbs you lost!
    Larry
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by WolfeMan View Post
    ROFLMAO!! Actually, had I used buffalo and fresh sweet potatoes it would have been healthier. Those are multigrain rolls to boot!

Keep up the good work losing the weight, I really need to get back to working out. I gained the 10lbs you lost!
    That does look scrumptious. I may give it a try with ground turkey. I may add a little crushed pineapple or something similar to keep the turkey moist.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

grilling novice here. Am I interpreting your photo correctly that the burgers were cooked indirectly? I had thought that burgers were one thing that you wanted to cook directly in order to maximize the maillard reaction.

Also, what do you think of the chimney style charcoal starters?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    grilling novice here. Am I interpreting your photo correctly that the burgers were cooked indirectly? I had thought that burgers were one thing that you wanted to cook directly in order to maximize the maillard reaction.

Also, what do you think of the chimney style charcoal starters?
    Good question! Where the grill marks are or 'sear', that is from the maillard reaction or 'caramelization' or 'char' if you will. In order for the maillard reaction to occur, all you need is heat, not necessarily direct. In this case, the make up of the burgers (teriyaki and honey), had I cooked them over the direct side of the fire, the sugars would have burned vs. caramelized (maillard reaction). So I cooked them indirect with high heat on preheated grates to get the grill marks (maillard reaction). This way, they cooked through without being burnt on the outside and rare in the middle.

I think Charcoal Chimneys are great.........for people that can stand. For those of us in chairs, they're quite dangerous. I have two and use them on occassion. I prefer letting the fire slowly grow. By lighting one spot, you can do this. Contrary to what the old saying is 'wait until all the coals are ashed over before cooking', this is not true. UNLESS you use lighter fluid or instant light charcoal, which as much as I love the smell of charcoal being lit with fluid and it reminds me of my childhood, I would never cook with it now. One more thing about lighting a small area of coals vs. lighting them all is, if you keep the lid closed after you're done you can reuse most of what's left if you're using natural lump.
    Larry
    ------

Looks good, keep us posted larry. And, what no fresh sweet potatoes in Virgina???

I made a variation of these today using a pound of ground turkey breast. It is necessary to add moisture to the turkey or the burgers are quite dry. Because Larry served his with pineapple, it gave me an idea. I added about a half cup of well-drained crushed pineapple to the meat. To help retain the moisture, I crushed 4 ginger snaps and used the crumbs instead of plain breadcrumbs. I omitted the ground ginger Larry used.

Served with honey mustard and fixins on a bun, they were great. I have one left for lunch tomorrow.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I made a variation of these today using a pound of ground turkey breast. It is necessary to add moisture to the turkey or the burgers are quite dry. Because Larry served his with pineapple, it gave me an idea. I added about a half cup of well-drained crushed pineapple to the meat. To help retain the moisture, I crushed 4 ginger snaps and used the crumbs instead of plain breadcrumbs. I omitted the ground ginger Larry used.

Served with honey mustard and fixins on a bun, they were great. I have one left for lunch tomorrow.
    EXTREMELY great idea!! Love the idea of adding the pineapple and ginger snaps into the meat!! Excellent!!!
    Larry
    ------